Prego?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by D&D Farm, Oct 1, 2020.

1. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    This is our first year breeding. We have kept our buck with the two females that we want to breed. We know he mounted one of them but don’t know about the other one. Both have put on a bit of weight but other than that we can’t tell if they are pregnant. We don’t know if they are just fat or pregnant. We are not going to pay for ultrasounds on them. I’ve palpated their bellies and listened for a heartbeat. Still can’t tell. Any advise?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Which breed are the does and what was the date exposure to the buck began and ended (or ongoing?)

A blood test is much less expensive than an ultrasound, especially if you are able to draw the small blood samples yourself. There are many labs you can mail samples to. Usually around $10 per sample.

MadHouse likes this.

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

My vet told me that for the blood test to show results it needs to be 30 days into pregnancy.

4. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    How would I find these labs? I was a vat tech so I can draw blood. I saw him mount one on July 4th for the first time. He is still with them.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Here is the lab we use for just testing pregnancy: https://www.dhicoop.com/biopryn.html

They’re by far the cheapest I’ve found, and they had us results the day after they received the samples.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  6. We pull blood on our own goats and ship to a Biopryn lab. There is one close to us and the samples get there within 2 days. Costs us $3 per sample and a couple more for shipping. That's the best way to tell pregnancy.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can call your vet and ask if they can send it in for you.