Prejudiced against goat owners

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I am a professional with a professional job. All of my friends were fine with the dogs and horses, and that was "acceptable". When I added chickens they thought that was kind of cute and "country" but when I got goats they looked at me like I had lost my marbles. Why is it that goat ownership is associated with dirty, filthy, hillbillies, or at least one of the Clampetts? If I had said I was going to raise beef, I probably would have gotten a big thumbs up. Now I'll admit my feet have looked a little dirtier since I brought home goats, from frequent trips to the pasture wearing flip flops. :laugh: But nothing else has changed, and the feet are clean before I enter our home. I'm not taking a serious beating over owning goats or anything, but just found it very interesting how people view goat ownership if they don't own them. People think goats smell disgusting, and I guess I thought that as well before owning them. Now I know it's the intact boys, because either I can't smell anymore or my girls smell just fine! :p Just wondering about other goat owner's experiences with this.

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm retired and I used to do a lot of hot air ballooning, I have owned two balloons and my son is a very experienced pilot. We have sort of a clan that grew up around us, we started in 1981. They don't understand why I never show up. I do often have hay on my clothes. My feet are sort of grimy too. I feel more productive than I ever did before. And I'm learning to make hard cheese.

I guess most people really aren't animal people.

Jan

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Goats are just not as mainstream. They are still considered the "poor man's cow" to many folks...and I've talked to some that can not believe I would "actually drink goat's milk"! My husband's brother (always lived in the city) is amazed that I would want to take the time out of my life to milk everyday...and what a burden it must be...and how tied down I must feel...and so on. I just smile:)

4. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    I am with you I always get asked "Why goats?" with a raised eyebrow and at first I'd blush and stumble on my words and now I just reply back "Why not?" I have learned loads from my goats and as far as I'm concerned they are equal to any other farm critter. My life motto is 'Country as a dirt clod' and although I might be a bit redneck for some peoples taste when they need something done with their animals or need help fixing something they always ask me for help. So I may have grit and grime on my boots but I'm always willing to help and don't mind getting dirty. So although goats may not be people's first choice it doesn't mean they are any less valuable shoot they have many uses, more so than horses and their less expensive to keep, and even if they are just pets they make great ones at that. SO more power to all the goat lovers.

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think goats are getting a lot more popular and will continue to do so, we will all be the old timers. They are certainly easier to keep than other livestock. And more entertaining too.

Jan

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    To each is there own...it's ignorance that make people question goats.

And...I'm as hick as they come..my feet have soles like shoe leather because I am always barefoot...except when at work of course, I have stepped in and on things that'd make you question me but regardless of that fact, I love my goats and being self sufficient so I don't mind a few goat berries between my toes on a daily basis, I'm clean when I "go out", clean when I'm at work and clean when I go to bed but the hours I'm at home my feet are bare...the only thing I find that truly grosses me out is stepping in chicken poop, which is one reason why I get my eggs from a neighbor.

7. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Its funny, every time I tell people I have goats they sort of "awww" like they would if I showed them a cute little baby.

I don't know if it is because I live in the city and people find it cutely eccentric or what....It could also be the city I live in...Santa Fe isn't called the "city dipherent" for nothing!

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Glad I'm not the only one getting the same response. I guess the ones who say, "I just never saw you as a goat person" just don't know me well. I am a big country girl at heart and an animal fanatic, but at work I wear a different hat.
    The way I look at it, everybody thought Noah was nuts, too. With this economy, I feel pretty smart having our own milk, meat, eggs, chicken, and veges! I think if the rain comes, everybody will love goats. :p
    That's why I love this forum, besides the great advice and help. It's nice to "know" other people who get it. :grouphug:

9. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

You know...I went through this just the other week in the worst way! We applied for a new house in a new city that is very competitive. To get a nice place you need lots of income and excellent credit. Blah blah. Well, we qualify for the house we are applying too. We impress and mingle with the owners; make sure we talk about the things we can tell are clearly important to them to help them feel comfortable with us. We provide verification of income and exceed their minimum. Our credit is also beyond their requirements. And the house is just what we want! Large barn, huge garage with barn sink I can use for kidding, soap, etc. Right? Perfect!!

..."oh, you mentioned goats...how many?" Well, as I said the first time I emailed you, 20 or so. "oh...." this lead to them making claims of CCR violations which we were not violating. They took extra days to call the CCR head who owns boers (woo go him!) and he said the nigis would be just fine and there would be no issues. They stalled a few more days and finally called saying something along the lines of they just weren't sure about the goats or what to do if a neighbor complained??

Really?? Someone who lives half a mile from me is going to complain more about my goats then the 12 head of cattle down the road or - better yet - the boers owned by the head and my neighbor to the north!!??

So...we didn't get the house. Imagine the upset when we had to stall my DH start date at his new job so we could try to find something else. NUTS!

It was in their voices you know? Even though I joked and said these aren't the smelly, hairy, horned "billies" that many people think goats are - they never budged. They had their noses up to us as soon as they remembered we had goats. Just AWFUL!

But I am relieved I am not the only one!

10. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm so sorry, Pennylullabelle! That doesn't make any sense at all, especially considering all of the livestock already in the neighborhood! That's much worse than people thinking I'm a little cookoo for wanting to raise meat goats. :sigh:

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep, yep, yep......preaching to the choir! I have heard the same comments and have been given the same looks as you all......I have heard every joke there is about having goats.......I just let it roll off my back and think "whatever"! It's funny to see though how some of my big city friends have fallen in love with my boys when they have come to visit......once they spend time with them, they get it!

Liz you are so right about the berries between your toes....mine seem to find their way into my garden clogs...lol! Now, I do have chickens.....but yes! It has to be the worse poop of all the poops!

12. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    Perfect 7,
    I get a lot of teasing about owning goats. But I look at it this way, I have about 4 acres of grown up brush with briars,honeysuckle, and all kinds of weeds. I can go out and buy a tractor with a PTO and a Bush Hog for at least several thousand dollars... or I can get a few goats. With the goats they always start, clear the land, cost less to fuel, and seldom break down. They "work" every day. If I decide to get rid of them I can sell them off my property, eat them, or take them to the local auction.

I don't mind being called a hillbilly either. In fact...I like it.

13. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I think around here most people who would loook at me strange would be the cattle people. But, they are having to sell off most of thier cattle due to the economy, but more people are getting goats! :laugh:

14. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    It seems that our experience is a bit different than most. The vast majority of people who stop by our farm think the goats are great. Most tell us how wonderful it must be to be able to raise them. Although I suspect none have cleaned out a barn before. Or trimmed hooves or helped with a breach birth.
    Being able to see our goats from the road is a great draw. Many people, especially couples with young children, stop only because they saw our goats. Most have lots of questions and are surprised to learn that goats are not the tin can eating animal they read about as kids.
    On the other hand we do get the occasional person who is aghast when told "Sorry, we don't sell goat milk. These are meat goats." But that's life. You can't be all things to all people.
    I agree with lissablack that goats are slowly becoming more mainstream. At least around here.
    More and more cattle people are realizing the addition of goats to their operation is a smart move. They eat a lot of stuff the cows won't and multi species grazing is a great way to reduce the problem of internal parasites.
    Sorry, I'm meandering. Just wanted to say that we have never been prejudiced against because of our goats. At least not by the public. Finding a competant vet that knows goats is another story.

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow pennylullabelle I am so very sorry to hear that :( How awful, and I hope your able to find something else soon! I can remember when I moved to KY from IN years ago - I had a cat, and my best friend that I was moving down here with also had one, plus my daughter was 15 months old <I was getting divorced>. They either didn't want to rent to us because of cats or kids! Insane! But we did find a place, thankfully...and it's not always easy to find a place in the town we needed to be in that was close to our new jobs.

As for goats, I haven't come across any negativity yet. Most people seem surprised and interested - in a good way.
    This is HORSE COUNTRY, in fact this area is considered the horse capitol of the world - at least in the US anyway :) Lots of big expensive horse farms, some of the best thoroughbred racehorse breeding stock in the world, and here we are in the middle of it....with 6 goats LOL But yet, nobody seems negative about them at all.
    We live out in the country, on a busy road <big tourist road/biking road because of the farms>, there is a little restaurant next to us that is EXTREMELY popular in the area, and you'll see people bringing their kids over to the fenceline so the kids can see the goats - it's cute. Of course we have our hay rolls in an area right now that makes it hard for the kids to see them :(

Hey...I wonder if the restaurant would be interested in goat meat in the future....LOL!!!!!

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...he word "Goat" ....when we had the registered Black angus.....people would be like ..oh cool.. :thumbup: ..after we sold out and making alot more money with "Goats"... I rather have Goats... any day over Cattle.....and know alot of breeders who switched...to goats...... When I tell people... that we sell goats.... they look at me like...Goats ...."eww really".....until ....I hand them a business card... then..they get the "WOW"....factor....and say... I didn't know goats looked like that...they are beautiful ...... :p

17. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Yes, I've gotten the "wow" when I show people a picture of the boer goat bucks (not mine, of course, because he's a baby). I also never knew goats looked like that! My parents raise black angus and have been trying to get me into raising livestock to provide our own meat. I don't think this is quite what they had in mind. :laugh:
    But when I told my mom I can raise 6 goats in the space she can raise one cow, plus have 2+ babies in five months versus one calf after nearly a year of pregnancy (plus much cheaper feed costs) she understands a bit more. She still swears she wont try goat meat or drink goat milk (neighbors let the buck run with the herd when she tried the milk...YUCK!), I think she will.
    My doctor shocked me two weeks ago when he said he sold all of his cattle and has started up with boer goats. Yes, it's starting to catch on so I hope one day the stigma changes. Even my dh laughed at first and said, "So you want us to be goat farmers".
    I wonder why I never step in my chicken's poo? I think they all scratch it up too much. Well, that and the kids feed them. :laugh:
    In our area, this is the third year for meat goats in 4-h. The first year there were three kids, and this year there are twenty-five. :thumb:

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :wink:
    It was because of my mom's "fowl" when I was growing up that I won't raise chickens...the chickens, ducks and geese free ranged, had a coop to go to at night but when the sun was up, the door was opened...I loved the eggs but have personally stepped in enough goose grease, duck mud and chicken poop as a kid that I prefer to stick with goats :greengrin:

I have numerous people around here that turn up their noses to goats as well...alot of beef and swine but not many decent well managed goat herds.

19. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I don't blame you a bit, Liz. I was attacked mercilessly by geese growing up and still can't stand them. I can still hear them hissing! No free range chickens here, although my dogs would love it if they were. KFC on the move!

20. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

i used to get a lot of grief about owning goats. Im talkin like at school and stuff. but i started bringing my bottlebabies to school and i dont get teased anymore. they figured it out. :p