Premature Newborn Baby Complications

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Max Tobin, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Max Tobin

Max Tobin New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Avondale, AZ
    Hi! I am Max and our nigerian dwarf goat just gave birth to 3 kids. The first came out behind first and was stillborn. The following two kids had good births and came out just fine but seemed extremely small and weak and floppy. We rushed to get them warm and inside, milked the mama goat and bottle fed both of them. One is doing great but the other is having breathing issues, stopped breathing, and has a cold tongue. We currently are keeping them both warm and hoping that the one that stopped breathing will come back. Does anyone have any advice or is it too late? Please help us soon the whole household is saddened

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hows babies now? You can give a pinch of cayenne pepper in babies mouth to perk him up. Just a small pinch in his tongue.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  3. Max Tobin

Max Tobin New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Avondale, AZ
    Hi Cathy, unfortunately the weaker kid didn't make it last night :( The stronger one is still with us but seems like its really lethargic and isn't moving much. We still have her on heat and she is taking a little bits of milk at a time. I'll definitely look into the cayenne pepper but she did eat really well this morning.

4. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Awe sorry about the weaker one. Preemies are hard!! Make sure babies temp is 101.5 before feeding each time. Small frequent meals ...cayenne pepper is great stuff. Just a tiny pinch mixed with honey in her mouth. She may not like it. But goid for her...honey will offer energy as well.

Best wishes

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

So sorry for the loss. :(

6. Max Tobin

Max Tobin New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Avondale, AZ
    Unfortunately nothing worked and the last goat just passed thank you all for your help and condolences it was much appreciated

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh im sorry. You gave a grand effort. Preemies are super hard..lungs underdeveloped and such. ((Hugs)) for you and your family

goatblessings likes this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you lost them.

9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Hi @Max Tobin - I'm so sorry for your losses. How far along was the doe when she gave birth? Was she given selenium during pregnancy? Weak floppy kids is a strong sign of selenium deficiency.

For future, get yourself a bottle of Dexamethasone. It may not have saved these kids, but it's important to have in your goat supplies for premature kids and has many other uses.