Prenatal care for goats???

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by gotgoats, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have 2 fainting does due to kid end of Feb. This is their first time and mine!! Is there anything in particular that you do to make sure your goats are ready i.e., worming, shots, feedings plus what should be done post birth for them and the kids. I have been reading up on this on Fiasco farms, but curious as how others prepare. Thanks for the help!!!

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Since this is only my second year with kiddings, I haven't set up a routine with my pregnant does. But when kids are born I worm the moms and of course dip the navals in Iodine. Then a few days to a week after kids are born we will do the disbudding. I up the does feed 1-2 weeks before kidding, I also give the does calcium right after or right before kidding. I also give the kids probios right after they are born, oh and I give the does birthing haircuts a few days before their due date.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    at about a month before my girls are due, we boost their vaccines and worm them....I usually feed my does the same until after they kid then I give them more so they will continue to produce milk well....I too raise Myotonics and I have had them for 2 years. After your doe kids, worm her with a safe wormer like safe guard or Cydectin.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I don't do much except boost their CDT and then up their hay intake. I worm if necessary about a month before (if I remember sometimes it is earlier or later).

5. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    We give them CDT about a month before they kid, give them a shot of BoSe at the same time, as well as wormer. We then worm them when they kid and worm them again 10 days later. We are doing some experimenting with our food intake here. Aot of my goats lost alot of weight from the major major change in weather, especially the boys. So we are really really upping the hay intake. What do you all recomend. For you guys with big herd how much hay do you go through in a day?? I have a herd of about 35, how much do you go through.. Ok thanks

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I give free choice hay. So I really don't know how much I go through....

7. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well how many goats do you have, and dont you go through and incredible amount of hay giving it free choice
    and what kind of barn do you have? Do you have any pictures of it

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    They don't sit there eating it all day like little pigs lol. I go through about hmm, I probably feed 4 or 5 flakes a day and I have 14 goats. The wasted hay is their bedding so I don't buy straw. I do have some photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    wow thats pretty cool! Ok, so do you have any pictures of your actual barn??

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Like Sixshooter, we give CDT as well as Bose about a month before and worm them if it hadnt been done recently.
    Everyone gets free choice alfalfa and goat minerals. We begin graining (slow increases you know)about 2wks before kidding until they are up to about 2cups ea at both am & pm. We have mostly Boers here.
    Yup the iodine for navals is a must, and clipping behinds is a big help!!
    Warm molasses water for the new moms for a couple of days or so, I offer warm bran mash or oatmeal but no one ever eats it!!
    I also BoSe the newborns as we are in selenium deficient area. We go thru a good 125-135lb bale a day with 11 girls...6 preggos and 5 open yrlngs. There is curently no browse. Sometimes I think they pull it out on purpose to sleep at the hay rack...they wont' go inside unless its raining.

Chelsey I like how you are doing it!! The spaces on ours is vertical bars about 6" apart..waste waste waste but I don't buy bedding either unless its for kidding pens.

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have a question about the BoSe shot. I have heard that you can easily Over dose. So I am scared to give it to them. I feed alot of BOSS so would the dosage be the same for my does?

12. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes overdosing is critical on BoSe but by how much I do not know.
    I don't know about other breed requirements. My babies get 1/2 cc and the adults 2cc. I feed BOSS, but only about a handful each feeding.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With my girls, pygmy/ nigi's, I boost their CD/T and worm them a month before delivery and do hoof trims before they get too uncomfortable to get up on the milk stand. I feed them separately so I know that each of them are getting their cup of grain 2x day. They get their hayracks filled in the afternoon and topped off at night to last til next feeding. I up the grain by a half cup 2 weeks before they are due and have freechoice minerals available. I don't supplement the selenium because they get a comercial feed mix as well as minerals so I feel that it has plenty of all they need. I try very hard to be present at each kidding to clear noses and if it is too cold(like now) I dry the babies to prevent them from chilling. Mom gets a bucket of warm molasses water to help with energy and hydration, they all get a squirt or 2 of Nutri Drench. If I can be present at birth, I dip navels in iodine, if not I do it as soon as I can. After the delivery, I make sure the after birth is expelled and disposed of...It usually gets burned with the feedsack used to "catch" the kids, if the dogs don't find it first.

I up the grain to 2 cups 2x day til I start to dry them off as I use the delicious milk my girls provide me after the kids are sold.
    I didn't start doing the pre birth haircuts til this year...it definately is much easier to keep mom clean ! Previous kiddings I just smeared bag balm on the back of their udders to keep the birth goo from sticking.

Congratulations on your up coming "grandgoatbabies" :p

14. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Gotgoats sorry how rude of me. Welcome here to Goatspot and to your first upcoming kiddings!!
    I just love how everyone has come up with additional info on the same subject!
    You will probably need to ask your vet about what you need for your area. For instance some worm infestations are different in other parts of the country.
    In case you don't know, if you have a good relationship with a vet he/she can dispense prescription drugs and even show you how to administer. And give advice over the phone. Ay no cost.
    When I first got back into goats one of the first things I did was to establish a relationship with the vet before kidding time.
    Because of this, the info I have read AND from my cyber freinds, many here on Goat Spot, my vet bill was hundreds less last yr than previously...things like knowing what to ask for, having to pull kids and knowing what to do after.

15. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Thanks for all the helpful info. The Bose shot...is it just selenium, and do you just give it to goats in areas deficient in selenium. Fiasco farms says something about giving them Vit E and a yeast culture, are these needed (I am not sure what the yeast culture is or what it is for)??? I have a total of 4 does and 2 bucks. They are kept in different fields. The goats get free range hay, so I really don't know how much they actually eat of it. I also keep out Purina trace minerals, baking soda, and Purina feed with BOSS mixed in.
    Also, could someone tell me more about giving Calcium, before and after, and the reason.
    I plan on trimming hooves, worming and giving CDT here soon when the weather warms up a little.
    Great forum, enjoy reading the different posts on all subjects!!!!

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The calcium can help new moms with the deficiancy that can come about with pregnancy or milk production, milk fever is one of those problems that can be prevented with a calcium supplement. I just recently started to give my girls TUMS or the dollar store brand of calcium carbonate. Easy to give, as they like the fruit flavors, I give 2 tablets a day starting the day they freshen. It's one of those "can't hurt, may help" type things. Also , since you are using a commercial feed mix as well as the loose minerals, check the selenium content in BOTH before you give the BoSe shot as it is entirely possible to overdose on selenium. I 've never felt the need to give it and I've never had a case of white-muscle disease in my babies.

Nancy had a good point, check around for a vet that deals with goats or even sheep, they are totally different animals but they do have "common ailments". Vet can tell you what you may have to give and doseages as well. :p

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    gotgoats - how shameful of me not to give you a proper welcoming! :oops:

So welcome - glad to have you :D

here is a link to the subject of calcium:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/GoatChat/in ... opic=12440

I found it helpful so maybe you will as well.

I just bought from Jeffers (http://www.jefferslivestock.com) a tube of selenium & Vit. E gel. Very inexpensive (also if you order more then 50.00 from them they wave the 5.00 handling fee - there is never shipping on livestock items) I will be using this gel for the first time this year. Supposibly it is an equivelant to the BoSe.

18. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hi there goatgoats, nice to see another Okie! What area are you in?

19. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have 22 goats and go through 3/4-1 square bale of grass hay a day. And that pretty much gives them as much as they want.

20. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Great questions! The Bo I believe must stand for the vitamin e and the Se for selenium. Someone please correct me if Im wrong in this.
    I would sure like to know myself...how much selenium is too much...is it just concerning the injection or is it an overall too much in the feed?
    So far we have not had any problems with 2 injections a yr plus what is in th feed & minerals.
    Last yr one doe was gimping around for a few weeks before kidding....we hadn't given anyone their 2nd BoSe that yr...plumb forgot.