Preparing show goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Christina Smith, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Christina Smith

Christina Smith New Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Helotes TX
    Hey! I'm a first time goat shower and I was wondering how do you prep them before the show? Mine have big bellies and I know you're supposed to cut and ration their food and water a couple days before the show, but exactly how many days before hand and how much food and water to give them?
    EDIT: Also how much weight do they lose on the trailer? I'm aiming for one of mine to be in a certain class and he's a couple pounds past the max weight ((Max weight for the class is 97, he's 99-100 after eating)), but in the past with my lambs, they've lost weight on the trailer so I'm not too worried about it, I just want to know if there's a rough estimate on how much goats will lose on the trailer so I can make sure he won't be too heavy for the class. The trailer ride will be about 20-25 minutes and the show is on the 24th, if that helps at all. Thank you guys!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you read the showing and 4H sections, that should give you a good start.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Christina Smith

Jul 18, 2020
    Helotes TX
    I’ve scrolled a bit, but I haven’t found anything about what I’m trying to figure out

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Watch the cutting of water intake. I really disapprove of anyone limiting water- sorry but that is just cruel.
    Exercise helps the muscle tone and water actually helps the muscles to develop.
    Can you do practice runs of trailer rides to determine how stressed your goat gets and any weight loss? Then you can feed accordingly and adjust his calories etc.

5. Christina Smith

Jul 18, 2020
    Helotes TX
    That would actually be a great idea, the only problem is the show is in about 9 days and I don’t want him to lose too much weight. Yeah, I know I should’ve planned this out earlier, but the original plan with him was to get him into a heavy class and bulk him up really good, but he wasn’t gaining enough to do good in a heavy class and when they finally told us the weight limits and divisions a few days ago, I realized that the goats he would be up against, he’d have no chance at so now I’m back tracking my original plan for him lol. Good news though, I halved his feed and cut out his supplements and he already has lost two pounds (He has to at least lose 3 more, preferably 5 more though), so I think he’ll be good. Hopefully at least. I haven’t restricted water and I agree with you, it is cruel and I doubt I’ll have to anyway because he’s not a water hog.

6. Christina Smith

Jul 18, 2020
    Helotes TX
    Oh, and he’s still eating a good amount too. When the plan was to bulk him up and get him heavy, he was on 4 pounds of feed a day and 3 fattening supplements and free choice alfalfa, I just took out the supplements and am giving him 2 pounds of feed a day now and a handful of alfalfa.