Preterm Kid. We need a little help.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Rogersfarm, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We have a "rescue" pygmy/nigi mix that we got about 2 months ago. We know very little about her and the person we got her from said that she was most likely pregnant and due within 2 weeks. Two months passed and she still showed no signs of being pregnant( not gaining weight and no bag).I went outside sunday morning to find she had been attacked by an animal, maybe bobcat or coyote. Her ears and head are pretty tore up and she had this baby beside her that was TINY. It is obviously preterm he was alive when i found him she hadn't cleaned him and he was covered in dirt and ants. I brought him inside and washed him down and feed him immediately with powdered colostrum. He perked up and seems to be ok . After I got him settled I took care of her ,she was pretty shaken up. I introduced him back to her after she calmed down and he was able to stand up maybe 2 hours after I found him. She licked and made her mother noise but never nursed. We watched them for a little while and had to feed him again.We checked her very small bag and she had a little milk come down from both sides. After my husband got home we managed to get her to nurse him.Mom is very interested in him but he is so tiny and so is her bag I don't know if he is getting what he needs. He made it through the night but this afternoon looked really down. We gave him more bottle of colostrum and he perked up. We need advice, he seems to do better with us feeding him. Should we take him from the mom and bottle feed so that we can keep up with how much he is getting?He has used the bathroom twice poo and pee that we have noticed and he is fully formed as far as his development.His teeth are a little red and uneven though they look like they are not all the way developed but other that he looks ok just REALLY small. He is no longer than 8 inches from head to butt.Of course he has little long legs so he is I would say hoof to top of his back six to eight inches tall. Would it be better for him and her to keep him with her.We don't want to lose him and we don't want her to be anymore stressed without the baby. So Advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh he's tiny!

I'd pull him, the mom wont be able to feed him enough, you can monitor him better when he's with you too.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    leave them together but bottle feed the kid. At this stage recovering from her own trauma from the predator attack plus the stress of giving birth in a compromised situation, she needs all the help she can get to get herself back on her feet. And having the incentive of a baby to care for, even if she doesnt nurse him, can help pull them through. They have something to live for, you see? But certainly continue the bottle feeding, if he is small/weak and she has very little milk. Make sure they are penned up somewhere warm, dry and safe.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    by the way he is cute as a button!!

5. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    He is really sweet and loves to be cuddled:)

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :D I'm glad you are enjoying him!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He's fullterm....mom was likely attacked not long before delivery...and even though her udder is small, she does have milk for him. I would keep him with mom and supplement a bottle, the more he latches onto his mom the more she will make for him. He is a cutie...and little!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what day was the doe on?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry she was injured.... :( Is momma on Antibiotics?

I have to agree with the other Moderators....leave him on mom let him nurse ...plus supplement feed.... as needed...

Give some nutra drench....

To help drop milk ...you can give Oxytocin.... ask your vet.. if you can give it to her at this stage....

by letting the kid nurse...it helps to stimulate momma... to produce more milk...give mom grain and Alfalfa.. it also helps build milk... even milking her out and giving it to the baby in a syringe....helps stimulate her.... Good luck... :hug:

10. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We have no idea the day she was on. We were not even sure that she was pregnant. She was a "Rescue" and we had no history on her. She has a sister that we got also and neither looked pregnant or bagged up and both were supposed to be bred. The person where we got them from said that she was due in 2 weeks and that was 2 months ago.So to give a day would be impossible.Yes i did immediately give the mom a shot of LA200. She seems to be doing ok today and her wounds look alright. I think the both of them are going to pull through! :pray:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    since mom loves him I would at the very least bring him out often so she can see him but bottle feed him since he seems to need it and takes it readily.

if you have a safe area for mom and baby to stay together then I would do that otherwise just bring him out a couple times a day until he is bigger and stronger. Just seems because you didnt know she was pregnant he didnt get the nutrients he needed to grow in those last few weeks so he is just tiny. Looks fully formed and if he was a true premie he wouldnt have teeth or eyelashes. And they rarely live.

congrats so glad you were able to save him :)

12. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    They are pinned up together in a small, safe enclosure right by our house. They have been there since Sunday after all this happened. We only took him out yesterday evening when it was apparent that he was weak and needed attention. After we fed him, he picked back up so we put him back with momma. He immediately went to her and nursed. So I guess we will continue to supplement, maybe morning and evening, with a couple ounces until hopefully her milk comes in.

He just barely has teeth. About 4 of them are poking through the gums, the front two more than the adjacent two and they are very jagged where they are. It looks like he needs braces, LOL. That was the main reason we thought he was a bit early. Our other babies have come out with a full set of straight bottom teeth.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...He's fullterm, his teeth are normal for a kid born after day 145 but before 150. Glad that he is nursing mom, as far as her udder goes, she may not have the full dairy looking udder that most does get...I have a doe that has a smallish udder and makes just enough to feed her twins with no extra for me.I supplement a bottle the first few days til they get the hang of mom then they take off from there!

14. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Very cute. :pray: for momma and baby. Do you have photos of her? Did you find out what got her? Hope it has moved on since momma was able to fend it off.

Gina

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy...momma is doing better ...and is taking care of her little baby... I am glad the baby is doing well to..... you are doing the right thing.... just make sure you feel the tummy... once in a while ...to see if.. it is full or if more supplementing is needed .... :wink: :thumb:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry this happened to your doe. I am just glad you found her, if it had not been for you, I am afraid you would of lost them both. He sure is a doll.

Did you give Mom Molasses water? Give that warm to her and that way she will drink a lot and that helps also with the milk production. I say when ever you can leave them together, and it sounds like you have done a wonderful job. :thumb:

17. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    When you guys say molasses, is there something inparticular that you are using?

We did give our last doe, and this one, warm water mixed with Karo, but I dont know if that is sufficient.