The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we all know I have a new miniature filly coming in this week. I have been thinking about getting back into meat rabbits. Am I crazy? We had new zealand whites before. Really thinking having rabbit meat for myself and parents to eat would save money with all this inflation . Husband has to eat duck, chicken or emu mainly for his tick bite allergy.

Do you all think I am being silly for thinking about this? I have all my supplies away , cages, feeders, waters, kit boxes etc. So I would have to start from scratch again. All I seem to see for sale are new zealand reds or broken reds and chestnuts. Apparently whites are hard to find now. Last time I had 3 females and 1 buck. Buck was named midnight and yes he was solid white new zealand lol had a black barn cat named snowball back then too lol

Registered
Oh man I wish I could raise meat rabbits! My outdoor rabbits (very expensive pedigreed English angoras!) got myxomatosis and died horrible deaths, so I can't keep any outdoor rabbits for fear of them getting it too. That squashed my dreams of raising meat rabbits. So you should absolutely get meat rabbits, so I can live vicariously through you. Do it for both of us. Your husband is outnumbered. 馃構

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
All I can say is look into silver fox rabbits. I hear they are way better than New Zealands or Californians. We have New Zealands right now and we are looking to get into some silver foxes. I would also first consider the rising cost of animal feeds first though, if you are doing to for monetary reasons.

Registered
Kinder Goats
I raise Silver Fox Rabbits and absolutely love them! The breeder I got them from actually talked me off of New Zealands. She had raised them before and got into the Silver Fox because she had such trouble with her New Zealand's. Her experience was that the Sfs were better mothers, had bigger litters, and had better temperaments. I love mine. One of my does raises 8-9 kits every litter, even her first litter, and has a total pet temperament with very minimal handling. She actually has more kits than that but only has enough milk to raise 8-9. She has between 10-13 kits. Also, they're very flashy rabbits in my opinion which makes the whole deal so much better.馃槈
All I can say is look into silver fox rabbits. I hear they are way better than New Zealands or Californians. We have New Zealands right now and we are looking to get into some silver foxes. I would also first consider the rising cost of animal feeds first though, if you are doing to for monetary reasons.

Registered
We raise Californians and have always had good luck with them. They grow fast and provide lots of healthy, clean meat. Also, as you may know, rabbit meat is the healthiest meat there is. Compared to other meat, it's higher in protein, lower in fat and cholesterol, and all white meat. As a matter of fact, a person who only eats rabbit meat, needs to supplement other sources of fat so as not to lead to something called "rabbit starvation" which leads to malnutrition. Good luck on your adventure!

Super Moderator
We had New Zs and raised them in a community pen. The buck was in a pen within that pen and was the best dad..the kits could squeeze into his own and he let them jump all over him and snuggle with them. We sold all rabbits when I got sick to down size work loads for the kids. I love rabbit meat and one day will raise them again. I love the community pen, worked out well. I may have to look into Silver fox if I do this again.
All in all, rabbit is fairly cheap to raise and because they breed well..you have plenty of meat for the freezer and no plucking feathers!!

Registered
I was given a breeding pair of Californians and we have really enjoyed it so far. It's the first time I've ever had rabbits, but so far they are pretty easy! We've only bred them once and she had a small litter of only 4. I definitely think having homegrown meat options is a great thing for this crazy time we live in! You never know when the stores will be out of stock or put limits on stuff.

Registered
I miss my rabbits second only to my goats. We had a community indoor/outdoor pen. It had a dirt floor so mamas buried their babies. Could be frustrating at times but I felt we had very happy rabbits. I am thinking about doing it again as we can set them up for minimal care when we are gone.
I think you should go for it especially with anticipated shortages. I used rabbit for everything from stew to tacos to sausage. I sometimes forget how lucky I am that my husband loves all this stuff too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I am starting to look for sliver fox now but only found one breeder in Tennessee so far. Last time we had rabbi s my husband was fine with it but it was his idea to get out of it when we started down sizing. Gave them all to a previous friend cages and all supplies only for her to later get rid of then without asking if we wanted them back.
Never really knew about the sliver fox breed but they sound amazing! If you know any breeders in my area let me know!

I will have to see if I can sweet talk to hubby into making more cages first without ending up in divorce court lol.

Now mini should actually end up arriving tonight so to the barn to make a few changes! Wish it would be day light instead of night time so they could see better to turn around and ditch. Also still haven't been told if she is halter broke yet lol tonight could be fun! In the dark mini dragging?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts