Preventative Treatment for Coccidia

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RollingHillsBoers, Apr 17, 2010.

1. RollingHillsBoers

RollingHillsBoers New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    NW North Dakota
    We will be weaning kids in a couple weeks. Does anyone use preventative treatment measures for coccidia? It will be for about a dozen kids.

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I mix deccox in with their feed. If any are showing signs of coccidia then I treat with Sulmet. :)

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    some use sulmet, 1cc per 5lbs the first day, then 1cc per 10lbs for four days.

4. We use a mix in to bring numbers down. It is call coccidia stat. This helps keep the numbers down. When they numbers get out of control we use the sulmet pills and there is anther pill I use too at times but it is not coming to me at the molment. I put the pill in a syringe, take in hot water, shake till disolved then down the hatch once water is warm of course.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I start cocci prevention with DiMethox individually at 3 weeks of age.
    At 3 weeks each kid gets 1.5cc twice a day for 7 days then 1.5cc once a week until weaned. MUCH easier for me because I have just a few kids born each year.

6. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    Liz, is that the Di-Methox 12.5% undiluted? I want to use that on my nigerian kids for cocci prevention, but wasn't sure if I should use the dosage you describe, or the 5 day regimine based on weight :scratch:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is the 12.5% and it is undiluted. I also put a dab of karo on the end of the syringe as they tend to make faces when they get it.

8. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    Thanks! Does anyone know the difference between Sulmet and Di-Methox? I have both here...they have similiar chemical names and are both 12.5%... but have different dosing regimens? I'm confused....

9. RollingHillsBoers

RollingHillsBoers New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    NW North Dakota
    Are any of these crumbles I could just add to their feed?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Deccox crumbles are available through Jeffers Supply...or you can just use a feed containing Deccox, I personally prefer individual dosing so I know that each kid is getting exactly the amount needed.
    Sulmet/Albon I think is used more for treatment of cocci, Di Methox is the same drug but is also used as a prevention..not sure why theres a difference in the useage.

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Can you use Corid as preventative? If so, how do you think it compares to Deccox and Sulmet? How would you dose?

12. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yep Corid can be used, I used it last year and am using it again this year, was really happy with the results. I dose it starting at 20 days old 5cc per 20 lbs, for 5 days and do that every 3 weeks until they are 4-6 months old.