The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 yr old doe due in a couple wks. I ordered fresh keytone strips to test her for ketosis. We are having a lot of heat right now. She's not eating as much and laying around a lot. Just makes me nervous

What can I do supplement wise to help her not get ketosis?

She's been eating pasture and good hay as well as a cup of alfalfa pellets each day. Anything else you'd supplement with? Molasses?

She's probably fine but I'm just the protective owner/mom

Thank you in advance for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This is a nutritional issue where the doe is lacking enough energy in her diet. Does carrying singles can get PT, but it is mostly common in does kidding multiples, as they need to consume more energy to support their fast growing fetuses (as they grow the most in the last 30 days).

A nice quality grain or even cracked corn is recommended the last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The last few years, we have had several does with PT. These does were always very well fed, my Nigerians never had any issues but a few of our Lamanchas would struggle at the end of pregnancy. We did end up having to induce 1 doe a few days early. It was always multiples and big kids from our heavy producing does. Once they kidded it they were fine.

Dyne has also been a life saver to get some extra calories into a difficult doe! I always have some on the shelf.

This last year we had 0 cases of PT (~32 does kidded). I was delighted to say the least, kidding season is stressful enough without having to worry about PT! Only thing I changed was that my girls were primarily on Blue Seal Caprine Challenger (sweet feed). I do think it benefited those "problem" does. I also order a Ketone blood testing meter from PBS animal supply. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! SO much peace of mind if anyone is starting to slow down eating. I have found to urine strips to be very inaccurate with our herd. IMO the blood meter is well worth the $.

https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/products/bhbcheck-blood-ketone-test-system-kit

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
This is a nutritional issue where the doe is lacking enough energy in her diet. Does carrying singles can get PT, but it is mostly common in does kidding multiples, as they need to consume more energy to support their fast growing fetuses (as they grow the most in the last 30 days).

A nice quality grain or even cracked corn is recommended the last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy.
I agree.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I haven’t responded.
She’s doing well. We are giving her supplemental food as we do normally for our doe’s.

She’s due anytime after the 16th. So about 1 wk out from due date. She’s tired of being pregnant but she’s doing well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts