The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to prevent urinary calculi in wethered Pygmy goats? We recently had to put our very first wether down due to being hopelessly blocked up. We have 2 other 12 week old wethers now and I want to do everything possible to prevent that from happening to them.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
In the pack world, its generally agreed that you can feed a pack wether alfalfa upto about a year old before switching his feed to a grass or grass mix. Not sure if that translates the same for pygmy's. But you can start combating UC by giving them Ammonium chloride either in their feed or water or mineral mix.

·
Goat Mom
829 Posts
It's not totally about what you feed, it's the balance, you need to figure out your ca: ph levels. Alfalfa can be fed a goat entire lifetime, it's unlikely you would have any problems with it. Most of stones that block up goats are phosphorus stones from to many things like grains,corn,sunflower seeds, nuts,crackers. You need to keep the balance at about 2.5-3ca: 1 ph. Most grass hay is very low on calcium. Mine is 1.6:1 so I have to add alfalfa just to pull things up. If they get a little grain everyday, make sure they get some alfalfa everyday. Most wethers get calculi for a couple of different reason, one being genetics and early castration the other being lack of long fiber in their diets. Show wethers are especially at risk due to all the grain they are fed. If a goat get a good varied diet it's unlikely you'll have problems.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,085 Posts
Pet pygmies don't need any grain. The best hay for bucks and wethers is usually alfalfa mix. Straight alfalfa hay is 5:1 calcium phosphorus, so a little high on the calcium side. Straight grass hay can be low in calcium, and high in phosphorus (sometimes 1:1). So, combine the two, and you should be just about right. Always err on the side of a little more calcium.

If they are getting grass hay, give them alfalfa pellets, a half cup daily is what I would give my Nigerian Dwarves.

I am SO sorry you went through this. :hug: Also be sure their minerals have ammonium chloride in them, like Manna Pro does. You can add a bit of ACV to their water (Apple Cider Vinegar), but be sure you leave a plain bucket out there too, in case they decide not to like the ACV. You can add juice to their water to encourage them to drink more too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for all the information! We are definitely new to having goats as pets and are learning as we go!
We were totally heartbroken to put our little Sarge down especially since he was only 3 years old.
Thanks again for all your help!

·
1,524 Posts
A calcium:phos ratio of 2.5:1 or 3:1 is best. I feed all my bucks alfalfa their entire lives. I only use AC on wethers I am growing for freezer camp because I don't waste the alfalfa on them.

Grass hay and most of the cereal grains are very high in phosphorus with very little calcium. Feeding those without added calcium is what causes the UC.

In 30+ years of goats (both meat and dairy) I have never had a case of UC in any of my goats. My core herd stay with me usually until they die of old age.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
All these ratios are a little complicated sounding to me, haha. :eek:I'd like to know if my 5 1/2 month old buckling is at risk.
I feed him 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of grain/BOSS/alfalfa a day, and he gets as much hay as he wants, as we don't have grazing room, as well as fresh Manna Pro every day or every other day(sometimes he doesn't wan them).
I'm considering putting ACV in his water, but I wasn't sure how much, or if it was needed?
:thankU: for any advice. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
How would I go about finding out how much is in my grain and alfalfa? I mean, I can look at the tag, but I don't know if it's on there, and we sometimes get alfalfa in pellets, sometimes bales, so IDK what the difference is or how to find out? Sorry if that sounds dumb. :)

I sometimes feel like it all amounts to something like: test your soil, hay, feed, water and everything else you can think of and add it together, then divide it by the % of this or that, multiplied by the amount of whatever, minus the weight equals something like what you need,maybe, depending on a hundred different conditions that could be one way or another depending on where you live. Lol, sorry. :p :lol:

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I sometimes feel like it all amounts to something like: test your soil, hay, feed, water and everything else you can think of and add it together, then divide it by the % of this or that, multiplied by the amount of whatever, minus the weight equals something like what you need,maybe, depending on a hundred different conditions that could be one way or another depending on where you live. Lol, sorry. :p :lol:
Actually, if you want to get technical and do it "right", then yes, you would do all that. ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
If you want to tell me how much of each thing he is getting and the type of hay, I can help you figure out the ratios.
The vinegar won't hurt anything. Just a splash in their water bucket. It's an interesting compound because it balances the system to neutral. If the blood PH is high, it brings it down. If the blood PH is low, it brings it up.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
:( Well, actually I intend to, but it's hard to figure it all out, especially when you're kind of a newbie. :) we'd never had livestock of any kind before the goats, and I'm only just now learning about them, so it's all kind of new and a little overwhelming to me. ;)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Sorry, posted at the same time.

Thank you goathiker, I will see if I can come up with some more exact numbers! :) Might take me a little while though. ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
That's fine. I'm just checking in every so often while I'm 'working'. This fence is going up sooo slow for some reason ;)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
image-882637486.jpg

Alright this is the grain were feeding.

image-3235695806.jpg

And here the back of the mineral bag (Manna Pro)

The alfalfa pellets we usually get are 17% protein.

And he also gets BOSSm mixed in.
Okay, so the goal is to give him the grain, Boss, and alfalfa all mixed together to equal aprox. 2 pounds a day. :/ I don't know if it's alway exactly that much cause we take turns feeing, and I don't know if the others are as specific as me. ;) but that's what I feed him. :) Do you need any other info?

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Beet Pulp contributes fiber and carbs. It is a poor source of nutrition. It is good because it is a plant fiber and carbs not grain so you can use it for weight gain in a grass fed program. It is a calcium source as well but only contains .8 CA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts