The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my vet to ask how much for disbudding Brownie's babies. The reply was $84! :shocked:
Is that pretty typical? We disbudded last year for my Alpine's baby and the horns grew anyway. Afraid we didn't do it long enough. But boy did that little one scream!!

I was hoping the vet could come out and do this years babies so we could watch and learn then do it ourselves next time. Now I not sure I can afford it.

Let me know your vet's prices if you've ever had it done "professionally".
Thanks,
Dana

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Wow! That is ridiculous! Most I was charged at the vet was $28, including anesthetic. I nowtake all babies to a breeder who charges $5 a kid. I agree to try and find a breeder to show you how. . . chances are they will do a much better job too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I obviously got ripped off (didn't know any better). I was charged $20 per kid (including the cd/t shot).

·
1,323 Posts
My babies go to the vet on Saturday, and they quoted a price of $25 or less for two. Which I thought that didnt sound to bad. But I would really like to learn to do them myself. Just have to find someone to show me. My breeder that I got the boys from said she would, but she is so busy.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just about every vet I know of puts the goat under for the disbudding. I figured it was just the common thing for all vets to do. They should be experienced enough to get that done safely. Only problem I've really noticed w/ vets is that they tend to over-burn. I had one baby come back from the vet looking like they had used a cow disbudder!! Last time our kids went to the vet for disbudding. . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.