price ??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dobe627, Aug 8, 2008.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Hi all, well I do get on and check all the time but always have problems signing in( it takes me about 10 trys) anyway. I am hoping for some input. I met a lady yesterday that runs a horse stable and trail riding business and we got to talking. Next weekend she is hired to take 10 of her horses and a petting zoo to some shindig close to here. And I know she is getting paid REALLY well. She said the guy that is having it is some big artist and is having a bunch of artists and their kids in from New york. Anyway she has no goats and asked about renting some of my younger friendly pygmys. When I said I was leary about letting them out of my sight (it's coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the death of my beloved wether monte) she said she would hire me too, and I can also bring some bunnies. She told me to just name my price. but I have NO idea what to charge. I didn't tell her that I just love sharing my goats. But since I really want to get a pygmy buck thought this would help. So if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them. As I said I know the guy is paying well, she said he was giving her $2500 to get her to try to find a steam engine to bring in( wish I had one) Thanks all. Cathy

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hi Cathy! How many hours would you have to be there? Will her liability insurance cover you and your animals if they bite somebody or something else happens? If it were me I'd figure what my expenses would be, include an hourly fee for yourself and any other help you need. Then double it. You definately have to be there to watch your animals, two legged kids can be either great with the animals or they can be teasers (or worse). You have to be able to tell them to back off if they "cross the line". If it's worth it, go for it, you might have stumbled into a nice little niche business.

3. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Hi Di, thanks for your input. She said she will be there from about 9am till about 5 pm and I can either do that or whatever I want. Its only about 20 min away. The main thing I wanted to know is if it will be shaded. Because I won't take my "kids" if they won't be comfortable. The goaties will be a little more tolorable of the heat then the bunnies. But theres no way I will not be there. I was thinking maybe $10 an hour( thats for me, a few bunnies and 2 or 3 goats.) She was super nice and her horse stable is about 5 minutes away. The big thing is she breaks and trains horses and my mustang is due to be broke this fall. Plus as you said, I am thinking maybe a nice way to make some extra money. I really want to get a nice small pygmy buck.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I was thinking more like $20.00/hour. Plus gas, will they feed you?

5. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks for your input Di, thats what my sister said too( $20 an hour). I think they will feed us. She had also asked about helping set up so that pretty much puts me there all day. That will get me on the path to find my pygmy buck(ling). And as I said I know she is getting paid well. Shes taking 10 horses at $25 an hour for each horse. Plus whatever shes getting paid for the petting zoo. I will let you know how it goes. I just don't want my goaties getting alot of junk from the kids to eat. Don't need belly aches.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'd take some treats for the goats, that I would feed them anyway, for the kids to give them. But, I personally don't like to go to "petting zoos" because the animals are used to being fed and that makes them, imo, somewhat food aggressive. I prefer to interact with my goats without food...they love being petted and have a good back scratch anyway. If I take food with me, I get mobbed, but if its just me, it's a much nicer experience. Good luck!