The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am looking to re-jiggle my herd. I do NOT want to sell my gals on, but what we really need is a dairy herd and, frankly, I need something like Saanens or Nubians...some of my does are good milkers, but others are terrible.

So, here is my question. I have a LOVELY Boer/Nubian/Spanish cross doe. She produces BEAUTIFUL babies - the one in my profile pic is hers. She had twins this year and single kids the previous two years. She has had easy births. Her first kids were healthy and strong. Sadly we lost her first set of twins (this Spring) due to Fescue poisoning. This does not reflect on her at all - we were simply unwittingly feeding Fescue hay. (If you don't know about Fescue Toxicity, PLEASE research it! We lost four kids to it this year and it is awful).

She must be between 3 and 4. She is gentle, sweet, and affectionate. HOWEVER, she is a very poor milker. At the moment I am milking her once a day and getting about 1/2 a quart. If I decide to sell her *sniff* what price should I ask?

Doe #2 Is a Nubian/Spanish/? cross. She is the same age as doe 1, and had the same kidding heartbreak this year, but the last two years has had gorgeous healthy triplets. Her babies this year were amazingly beautiful. It was heartbreaking to loose them! :( Again, she is not a super milker. Maybe gives just over a quart a day, with two milkings. What would I ask for her?

Thanks for the veteran advice!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, yes - and I have two pure-bred Nubian doelings. 15 months old, never bred. Lovely, beautiful, healthy girls. What price would I ask for them?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I don't know what the market is like in your area and I've never priced a doe, however I know that a lot of people are getting into goat's milk and would like a backyard milker. Some people, like my husband and I, don't necessarily want all that much milk from a goat, we mostly want milk with a good flavor. Enough milk for cereal, coffee/tea, and the occasional batch of cheese is plenty for us. I think you should focus on your girls' good traits (taste of milk, pretty babies, personalities, etc.). I've seen backyard milkers around here go for $250 in milk, even if they don't have the greatest production. A doe in milk is very attractive to first-time backyard milkers.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Agreed, I would be looking for a backyard milker if I wasn't in love with angoras. It is getting more popular with the fresh food craze, maybe even offer advice on husbandry of the goat if you get a newbie.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Why would you be selling the 2 Nubians if you are looking for a dairy herd?

Pricing seems to be a regional thing...what sells for 100.00 in one part of the country would sell for 300.00 in another!

Your girls sound like they would fit in nicely in a meat herd, so advertise them a dual purpose does....will produce meat kids if bred to a meat buck, but also produces milk for the house.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lottsagoats - I keep talking that one round and round. On the one hand, the are NOT going to be super milkers. Their mom (our friend's goat) is giving 1 1/2 qrts per day, being milked twice a day after being freshened in Jan. She was a 3rd-time mom and had triplets! Their dad is nothing special either. So they are pure-bred, but not likely to be high production dairy gals. AWFULLY cute gals, though! :)

I am hoping to find some gals (Saanen? Oberhasli?) who give a gallon or two per day if possible.

And the doelings are just over a year old -I know folks say they CAN be bred at that age, but they just seem to young and small to me...so if I wait til fall or next spring to breed them, and they then will only be first fresheners and won't give much milk - I will be waiting a LONG time to build their production up!

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. I'd probably sell the does too, then. Ok, maybe not but I am horrible at culling/selling my does/doelings. I make too much of a pet out of them and make excuses for keeping them.

There is such a wide variety of production amounts within each breed. I have seen Saanens who give barely enough milk to raise their kids and I have seen Nubians who really pound out the milk. I guess I would see what is a fairly popular breed in your area that you like and then try to find some that are production bred.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! It's a tough decision.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lottsagoats - It IS so tough! I felt like crying listing some of my gals on Craigslist. :mecry:
Boy, you do get to love goats! One the bright side, I was looking at an amazing purebred, registered French Alpine who is giving half a gallon a day AND raising her doeling...as a first freshener! She was very pretty. :)

And as to Saanens - they do vary a lot, but if I could have the doe the lady whose buck I borrow keeps, I would be happy. That gal was giving TWO gallons a day last I heard! And she had the cutest little white babies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts