pricing for colored mohair?

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by sgian, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    Anybody know what current prices are for colored angora mohair? I see a wide disparity in prices on the internet, and my wife hasn't found a fiber guild close enough to join yet. Right now I'm guessing $1 to $2 an ounce, is that right for raw colored fleece?

Also, any tips on selling? What we've thought of so far is...
    ebay (we made a listing to see how it goes)
    craigslist
    fiber guilds (haven't found one locally yet, but my mother-in-law goes to one out of state)

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    become a member on ebay and search completed listings, and see how much it sells for. Price yours up or down from that as required. I can usually ask a little more for my mohair because of the way it is produced, I sell two ways on ebay either whole fleeces, or by the kilo.

I also sell privately to handspinners; there are a few clubs I am in contact with. One I got hold of from the yellow pages, they are a local club. The others, I met people at agricultural shows - I take my goats and set up a little display with the animals, some raw mohair, a skin, and some socks/scarves plus information of course.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I don't know about mohair pricing. Maybe Becky will chime in here. She has beautiful mohair and she sells it ins woving I believe.

4. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    On my colored fleeces cleaned, picked, carded into roving....I've been told to sell retail for $2.50-$3.00 an ounce. Does that help? I have a market for all my white raw fleeces and I'm selling that for $8.00/lb. That's white...not the colored. I don't have a market for the raw colored fleeces yet.

Hope that helps. What colors do you have? I now have white, black, silver, red, brown and tan. I had 8 red babies born this spring so far. My buck is really throwing them this year.

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
  6. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    That does help, thank you.

We have silver and red, with 4 bucklings and 1 doeling this year. We only have one white, but she is very old.