The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, get ready. I'm about to write a whole lot.

I've been dealing with a thin doe now ever since she kidded in mid March. If she's gained any weight it's been minimal. She's been dealing with a barber pole problem, but I think I've probably just about gotten that under control. Her coat condition too, just looks awful. Plus, it seems like everything I put into her she just makes into milk. She's giving a half a gallon plus half a quart on once a day milking. Which is great, but not at the expense of her own body. Here's everything that I've been doing:

Acute dosage of Land of Havilah Parasite formula and GI Back on Track, plus EOs (It's been about a week and a half since I started acute dosage, I believe)
Dyne at 2tblsp twice a day mixed into her grain (doing this for about ten days)
A mixture of Blue Seal Premium Dairy Goat Pellet, calf manna, alfalfa pellets and BOSS (about 2.4 pounds total twice a day)
Four cloves of Garlic daily
All the varied forage she can get
2nd cutting fescue hay from about 8:00 pm to 9:00am
Weekly Replamin
Up to date on Copper boluses

Am I just being too impatient? Is it too soon to see improvement from all these things. I feel like nothing I'm doing for her is working. 馃槥

I've been doing some looking at old threads and I'm thinking about maybe trying this stuff called Multi-species All-Pro from Animed here's the link to it on Jefffers: 1 lb jar, Multi-Species ALL-PRO It's got probiotics and flax in it and I just like the look of it. I'm wondering if she's having trouble absorbing the nutrients that I'm pumping into her and maybe that's why none of this is working. Maybe from damage to her digestive tract from the worms? I also read somewhere that adding too much fat to their diet can kill the bacteria in their rumens. Well, maybe if I added something to aid in her digestion she would be able to digest the fat that I'm giving her better.

Any advice on what to do here? Should I just keep up with what I'm doing?

Registered
If you've only recently gotten the worm issues under control, I would wait a few weeks to see if there's any improvement.
You could try daily probiotics. I also started giving my goats a sprinkle of Diamond V Yeast on their feed last year, and feel like I really see a difference in overall health.
It can take a good milker a while to bounce back. They will put everything into the bucket. You could always try to reduce her milk production a bit, if you can't get weight on her at all.

Registered
I'd recommend getting a fecal done just to verify your dewormer choice is working. After becoming anemic or heavily parasitized, it can take several weeks to get back to normal as the digestive tract has become compromised. A lactating doe will also take a bit longer because she uses so much of her nutrition to produce milk.

Registered
Goat Mentor

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd recommend getting a fecal done just to verify your dewormer choice is working. After becoming anemic or heavily parasitized, it can take several weeks to get back to normal as the digestive tract has become compromised. A lactating doe will also take a bit longer because she uses so much of her nutrition to produce milk.
I'm planning on doing a fecal 馃槈.

Beet pulp and dark beer. Maybe Dyne.

I tried beet pulp and she didn't really like it. It made her not finish her grain. I tried both wet and dry. I also am currently using dyne.

Registered
Geez Prim, you鈥檙e being difficult! Silly girl!
It does take awhile for them to bounce back after kidding, so patience is a good thing. That said, my doe Drom looks like I starve her after she kids because it all goes into the milk. I鈥檝e found that adding a kid grower food into the regular rations helps as does Calf Manna. I also give my moms free access to a goat pail from TSC. Its not great calories, but it鈥檚 calories and they do help. Sometimes you have to Let them pig out to kick start their weight gain in order to get the BCS back where you want it. Just introduce the pail slowly so Prim doesn鈥檛 scour.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geez Prim, you鈥檙e being difficult! Silly girl!
It does take awhile for them to bounce back after kidding, so patience is a good thing. That said, my doe Drom looks like I starve her after she kids because it all goes into the milk. I鈥檝e found that adding a kid grower food into the regular rations helps as does Calf Manna. I also give my moms free access to a goat pail from TSC. Its not great calories, but it鈥檚 calories and they do help. Sometimes you have to Let them pig out to kick start their weight gain in order to get the BCS back where you want it. Just introduce the pail slowly so Prim doesn鈥檛 scour.
I was wondering about protein pails! I think I just might try that! Is this the one you use? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/prairie-pride-goat-protein-pail-18-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Registered
Honestly, I was expecting her to look a lot worse. She looks a lot like my doe, Sil, who you may have read about on here when she was having so many heath issues back in March. It just takes a long time to recover that lost ground, and you have to be watchful that they don't get other issues while their system is already compromised. But I figure as long as you're making progress, even if it's slow progress, that is a good thing!

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I'm just probably being harder on myself than I should be. I hate seeing my goats in anything less than top condition. I'm constantly striving, even when they are healthy, to reach new heights of coat and body condition. To see her this bad just makes me feel like I must be doing something wrong.

I do have a plan to avoid this in the future. I think that I need to provide better nutrition during pregnancy. I think I may have been a little light on what I was giving them because I was afraid of large babies. I also am going to start kidding in winter before the parasites get bad. I'm dealing with chemical resistance, and I think winter kidding is a step I need to take. Also lesson learned about not deworming well enough right after they kid. 馃槓

I'm going to go out on a limb and try that stuff I found on Jeffers. I think I'll also get a protein pail and keep up with the dyne. And golly I better learn how to be patient on this. 馃槵

Super Moderator
She has such a sweet face. She does not look overly thin to me. I would continue with quality hay and alfalfa and her grain ration as normal. Time will finish her out. Definitely need something for her coat. Looks like copper deficiency. When were they last treated?

Super Moderator
Maybe try a normal dose once to see if that kicks starts her coat recovery. The other thing I had to do one year with a goat who struggled to shed her winter wool was shave her. Got all that coarse hair off and she was super shiny under..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts