The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe, Prim kidded a little over a week ago and I think she is looking a bit too thin for my taste. She's probably a body score of 2. Her FAMACHA looks great, I think she just might need some extra support now that she's kidded. She's getting a cup and a half of alfalfa pellets, a half a cup of oats, and two tablespoons of BOSS twice a day, plus all the mixed grass hay she wants and of course, loose minerals and water. Should I just up the quantity of her twice a day mix or is there something I should add something to her diet?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Definitely a fecal to start with. It’s not uncommon for a doe to get a large load after the stress of kidding.
She might also just be working on getting her figure back. It takes a bit for them to tighten back up after carrying a load of babies around for so long (I’m still working on this after 12 years lol)
But if she is thin and her fecal is good then you can probably bump her up on the grain. I am grain stupid though so let someone else tell you how much you should go on that. There are other things you can add in. I know some people are picky about GMO, organic and all that, I’m not so I really don’t know where any of these things fall but some good things to add to is: calf manna is a good one for extra weight. Like BOSS a little goes a long ways. Dyne is another and I really do love that stuff but no goat I have ever given it to has willingly ate it mixed in grain and drenching gets old fast! Show bloom is another good one and again a little goes a long ways but that stuff is expensive. I try to just use that for the kids market animals and ones that end up really in the dumps.
And she also be one of those does that just gives it all to her kids and will always be on the leaner side until you wean kids. I have a good handful of those types of girls and it doesn’t matter how much you pour into them they just raise bigger and bigger kids.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not done a fecal, I just figured since her famacha looked fine that she was probably okay, but I'll get a fecal done and see. Her coat has been looking a little rough, so maybe that is part of her problem.

I had remembered the recommendation of calf manna, but golly that stuff seems pricey. Anybody have experience with beet pulp pellets?

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,210 Posts
I do not have experience with beet pulp.
I contacted my feed store and they carry a feed suplement called Supremo. Its a generic form of calf manna for 1/2 the $. Maybe you can call a feed store and ask if they carry something like that?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts