The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my best efforts to stop this from happening in the first place, Prim udder has become lopsided. I have been milking it even with the other side and putting the babies on the offending teat every time I see them nursing, but Prim doesn't seem to want them nursing off of it. She shoves them away every time they try. What should I do? Should I continue to milk the full side even with the other and keep trying to get the babies to take both teats? Should I milk out the larger side further than the other to maybe relieve a greater amount of pressure and then maybe Prim would feel better when the babies nursed off of it?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Definitely milk it out. In fact, now that her kids are a few days old, you could probably begin milking her out once a day on both sides if you want to. I generally start miking my girls 2x a day once I'm sure the kids have had a good amount of colostrum. I obviously don't know what Prim's production is like. You don't want to deprive the kids, but the more you milk her, the more she will produce (up to a point) and you will be able to keep her udder more comfortable for her.
If you haven't already, buy a mastitis test kit. I use the CMT. What's going on right now doesn't sound like mastitis, and I don't believe mastitis test kits work to test milk that still has colostrum in it, but it's good to have a test kit on hand so you can catch issues quickly if they arise.
You might enjoy reading this: http://glimmercroft.com/Udder.html

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Oh no, I’m sorry! I know you’re trying hard!
She might be getting congested on that side. Warm compresses, milk it out fully, then massage with A couple drops of peppermint oil mixed into a carrier oil. Also, give her large doses of vitamin c. It really helps.

Keep trying to get the kids to nurse on the offending side they’ll get it.
You’re doing great!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice, I didn't know that you could milk out once a day this early. Prim seems to be producing plenty. I got almost a pint just by evening out the one side. I will be starting separating Bella's kids at night tonight and milking her tomorrow morning. Hopefully I haven't waited too long to start her.

I do have a mastitis test, so I will test Prim and make sure she doesn't have that going on. I'll do what you said too, GG. ;)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't think I quite got all the milk out. She was really getting tired of me trying. She kept laying down. :bonk: I also discovered that Yuma, her buckling lost a bit of weight yesterday. We had seen her pushing him away, but also other times drinking, so we thought it was okay, but now apparently it is not. I'm speculating that she doesn't want him to nurse because her udder is tight and he's such an aggressive eater that it doesn't feel good to her when he drinks. I held Prim for him and he drank for a very long time, so clearly I didn't get all the milk :oops:. I'm going to try to get him to take a bottle, in case this is the start of a full rejection, but I'm still going to try to keep him with Prim for now. How often should hold her to let Yuma nurse?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I suggest putting Prim on the stand and holding Yuma up to nurse the bigger/less popular side. Let him drink as much as he likes and really get a good feed. If he learns that lots of milk comes from that side, he'll start taking to it on his own, and hopefully if it's not uncomfortably tight, Prim will start allowing him to nurse again.

I held Prim for him and he drank for a very long time, so clearly I didn't get all the milk :oops:.
Don't be too sure. Hungry babies will nurse an empty udder for a very long time, sucking away for the reward of a tiny trickle. Next time let him nurse before you milk and make sure he's getting enough.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Keep your chin up! If you can keep her comfortable, sometimes the babies will begin using that less favored side around a week old as they get more hungry/grow faster/eat more. I agree, hold her multiple times a day for Yuma to nurse and re-check his weight in 12-24 hours.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about overnight feeding? Does he need that still? I'm pretty sure he got a good feeding this morning after I milked her because his belly felt much more full than before he nursed. I also held her for a good long drink just a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I am going to have to separate her from him. She was trying to butt him and I really think she might hurt him. I'm going to put him behind a piece of fence in her stall so he can still think he has company.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts