Probably a stupid question but I am new to all of this

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by melbick, Jan 6, 2011.

1. melbick

melbick New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Venus, TX
    As I said this is probably a stupid question but I have just discovered that a couple of our boys have lice (or at least I think they are lice they look similar to fleas but they are light in coloring). I am going to treat them tomorrow with a pour on as well as treating the rest of my herd, but my question is do i need to treat myself and my kids? I have heard several differant versions from these lice wont be attracted to humans to yes they will infect humans. HELP!!!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not stupid at all.... :wink:

No you don't need to treat yourself...it is only goat oriented..don't worry.... they don't like....people... :thumb:

3. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Hi, Someone will probably answer this better than I, but...
    I just had to treat my goats for lice due to a visit they took off the farm, I dusted with coral.
    I also orally wormed with Ivomec because I didn't know the difference between suckling and biting lice.
    Everything is fine now and no lice are mostly host exclusive (dog lice on dogs, goat lice on goats...), I did not need to treat myself or family.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Caryn

4. melbick

melbick New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Venus, TX
    :cool: Thank goodness, cause it would be more expensive to treat all of us than it is going to be to treat the goats.

5. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Can you actually see the lice??? My goats scratch, not excessively but they do scratch. So what do I look for?? And does anyone know what to use on pregnant does??

6. melbick

melbick New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Venus, TX
    yeah on my guys I did. They looked kinda like fleas only lighter not quite brown but not quite white either, more of a cream color. I could see them on areas that the hair was not as thick like on the top of their heads and arm pit (?) areas.

7. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I've know Ivomec Plus (given orally) to work wonders on lice/mange/mites...another friend used it and saw great results - no more issues at all (we did 2 treatments - 2+ weeks apart). Can't remember dosages, or the specifics on preggo vs. no-preggo ... but a search here on the forum will tell ya.... I know it's been discussed before.
    :)

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You can use a powder and "dust" the goats off, safe for pregnant does. Or you can use ivermec injectable...you have to actually inject it to get rid of them, it won't work if it is given orally...it deworms and gets rid of parasites by injection, just deworms given orally...not totally positive if it is safe for pregnant does.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup:

yes ...you can see them.... usually if... they are scratching alot.... they most likely have lice....there are 2 kinds.... biting and sucking.... one kind can be treated with topicals....such as ...
    diatinatious(sp) earth(DE) food grade kind.... is safe for preggo Does.... Dust the goats and bedding...

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No ...Ivomec Plus ...cannot be used on preggo Does....

11. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks guys for the info.

12. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    on my boys the lice seem to congregate around the withers....

13. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    This is not true, I have used Ivermec orally to get rid of lice and it works just as well as injected.

Karla

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    But there are 2 lice types....biting and sucking lice.... with one type...can't remember which one... :scratch: Ivomac must be injected....or it will not work.... :wink: