The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a buck breed a doe who is not in heat?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question ;) only stupid ones are the ones that go unasked (is that a word? Unasked? lol! :lol: )

He will probably try, and be, well a buck lol! But, will she get pregnant, no. She has to be in heat for that :)

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not very good about telling if a doe is in heat or not.. so I put one of my does in with my buck and I seen him get her about 5 times then left them alone, I was wondering if he was just ready to get going with the season or if I miss signs of heat

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I am not very good about telling if a doe is in heat or not.. so I put one of my does in with my buck and I seen him get her about 5 times then left them alone, I was wondering if he was just ready to get going with the season or if I miss signs of heat
Is she willingly letting him? Was there any discharge after he was done? I'm sure after that, her heats will become more noticeable ;)

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
If she stood for him to mount and he went in her and then she hunched her bottom when he got off..then she is in heat and he bred her and she should settle.....but if he mounted her and didnt go in..then he was just playing house..

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Flirting is a pretty big sign of heat. Anything to the sort of your doe noticeably rubbing on, calling for, or standing for your buck is a good hint! If he got to her 5 times, then she may have been standing for him. I would write down the date and keep it in a safe spot, just to be sure ;)

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I put them together they went to jumping up and head butting each other for a longgg time. He kept trying to smell her and she would but him so I held her collar so he could get a smell, he smelled her (got all up in her business back there) for about 2 minutes then I let her go and he chased her and got her at least five times, I could tell that it was in. But I would not call her willing at all, she seemed rather aggravated, like momma get this stinky thing away from me.

I left them still going at it, I walked by 20 min later or so and they where just standing by each other.

I left them, and

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
well only time will tell lol...as trinity ranch said..mark the date just in case : ) if he got her five times..its a good chance she was inheat and just not a tart lol

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I marked the date, How long should I leave them together, is one day long enough ? I can't put more then 1 doe in with him at a time or they gang up on him.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I leave mine in until I see three visuals..then I put them in their own pens..when Im not able to get a visual but prety sure sheis inheat or its late I leave them over night..what needs to be done is usually done with in that time or she just isnt ready..;)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That is just because you're new at this. Rome was not built in a day, and you are not going to know everything about raising goats overnight. Cut yourself some slack, give it a little while and you will be able to tell when they first start coming into heat. The key is to spend as much time as you can with your goats so you know how they act under normal, everyday circumstances. If you do that, not only will you be able to tell when they are coming into heat, you will be able to tell when they are getting sick or something is wrong, as well.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has any one every seen or heard of a buck putting his own penis in his mouth ?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
82 Posts
some does are CHOOSY in case of matting........

When I put them together they went to jumping up and head butting each other for a longgg time. He kept trying to smell her and she would but him so I held her collar so he could get a smell, he smelled her (got all up in her business back there) for about 2 minutes then I let her go and he chased her and got her at least five times, I could tell that it was in. But I would not call her willing at all, she seemed rather aggravated, like momma get this stinky thing away from me.

I left them still going at it, I walked by 20 min later or so and they where just standing by each other.

I left them, and
Some does are very CHOOSY in case of matting, that they do'nt like those bucks who are smaller or weaker than them , or belongs to a lower breed.Does have the sense to feel the strength of the buck.
Strong bucks can bring a doe on heat even in few hours just because of his smell and fore play he makes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts