The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
with the economy the way it is, chances are no one else is biting on the goats. Tell him your stipulations for the purchase of them and see what he does. If he is willing to work out the paper work issue and get Anne to "sign off" on their breeding as well as take the time to make sure they are healthy or have a diagnosis then go for it. If not, you will only have a headach on your hands as you try to deal with the mess.

·
Registered
768 Posts
He said that Anne didn't mind having her name on these breedings because she knew that the sire was a great goat from really awesome lines, soooo. . . . . I am so torn!!
Well now I guess I was wrong... I would have bet anything the opposite. But that is great news for you. If you can buy 2 Rosasharn does for that low of price you have some serious considering to do. That would have me thinking about taking the chance too. Just make sure that the registrations are clear and free and that Anne will sign off on them. And make sure they are healthy enough to buy, I would insist he find the cause of the diarrhea and treat for it. And if it is Cocci hopefully it is being taken care of before serious damage is done. There is a possibility that it has stunted their growth beyond repair, but it could be a quick fix and with some real TLC they could grow to be nice does. It is a chance you will have to be willing to take.

I don't envy you with the hard choice you must make. But keep me updated either way, I would love to hear what you decide. :wink:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I emailed him and asked him if he'd take a fecal sample to the vet and treat them for any parasites they may have. He said that would be fine! He's really nice. He said he really wanted us to buy them, so we'll see how it all goes.

·
Fall Creek Farm
52 Posts
capriola-nd said:
Thanks for that Tina, that really helps!! :D

Well, I'll just explain briefly why they may carry the Rosasharn farm name. Anne was selling quite a few of her mature animals and this particular person wanted mature animals but did not have all the money at one time. So, Anne just let him ship these mature does and pay her off in payments. She sent the papers but not the transfer slips. Make sense?

I plan to email Anne and make sure this is all true. He did not come off as a dishonest person at all. I think the care of the babies was lacking just because he's a "newbie". I know our set-up and health care of our goats when we first started is not as great as it is now. Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks so much for your comments everyone! I'm still thinking about getting them so if you have any other thoughts, please share! :)
I would really, really check with Anne before you do anything.
I've heard of breeders who will take payments, but none that will send the registration papers until the goat is paid in full (even if they've held the transfer). I cannot imagine her signing off on a breeding that a "newbie" has done and putting her name on it or asking a newbie to sell her goats for her... It just does not sound like something a breeder of her repuation would do.
JMHO
Lois
http://www.fallcreekfarm.net

·
Registered
768 Posts
It just does not sound like something a breeder of her repuation would do.
That is exactly what I was thinking... and am quite surprised to hear that she may. At least that is what that person is telling her, that Anne will. I would be shocked if she did. As I would never put my name down as the breeder if I didn't personally do the breeding. And I would never judge the buck being used by his pedigree alone. I would need to see that buck and get my hands on him first.
But hey if Anne does you can't blame her for wanting to get two Rosasharn does at that price.

But yes, please contact Anne and ask her about the this first. it would be nice to trust what others are telling you. But no matter how nice he is, you jsut can't do that these days. Too many people are deceitful, wish it wasn't that way but it is. So check with Anne.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
ok I could be wrong but I thought Olivia said the does were sold bred so that would mean that Anne did the breeding :shrug: :scratch:

I probably missed something though :shades:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, from what he told me, he and Anne have been talking for quite some time, probably nearly two years. I do plan to talk to Anne myself, just to be sure though.

This person did do the breeding himself. He bred these two does to a buck from Dill's. I saw the buck myself and he is very nice. I understand what you guys are saying regarding this though. I thought the whole paperwork thing was interesting myself. So, I better just email Anne real quick and ask her myself if all of this is true.

This person is a "newbie" but he did start out with some excellent stock - he didn't just buy whatever was close but had animals shipped in. . . . and I'm sure spent a fortune on them.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Just read this thread. I sure hope it all works out and he's being honest with you! (by the way I love Dill's goats! Wonder why. lol) Let us know how it goes!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts