The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I have a good question for you. I wormed three of my bucklings with ivermectin as one looked like he needed it. Since all three are in the same lot I did all of them the same way. I know one always gets a bit of the runs after using ivermectin so I was prepared to give him a dose of probios the following day as a precaution. Well this morning I noticed he still had the runs which is not normal for our routine. Well I went to get another dose of the probios this morning and discovered that it has taken on moisture in the jar. Oh joy! I have a feeling I may have made his runs a bit worse with the bad probios. Has anyone ever had their probios take on moisture and if so have you used any on accident? If so what was your outcome? (the one that has the runs is not the one that looked like he needed a worming, I just do everyone in lot groups because if one looks in need then all the others are grazing on the same land)

I just ordered a new jar and have given him some nutridrench. I also decided to do 3 days of molly's number 1 wormer just in case it was just a silent worm load issue and not the probios. He has nice color and is eating/drinking fine but I am keeping a close eye on him.

Did we discover awhile back that the pepto bismol is no longer safe for goats? I have truly never used it in goats but I thought I remember people saying it could be used if need be. I have always lived by probios but apparently this lovely old house is finally taking it's toll on us (long story). We use to use pepto with foals during foal heat, but I just have never used it in goats.

If you do use pepto let me know what doses you use just in case this happens again.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! We are not big fans of pepto even for people but I got into the habit of keeping it on the shelf from when I use to breed horses. My husband laughs that I just get a bottle to throw out when it expires for the fun of it. I may end up having to get some gel probios as a back up. I just always enjoyed the ease of the powder but this house needs a new roof badly and we have to run the dehumidifier every day. Still waiting on the new farm so we have to make due until then. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I fed this evening he was already looking better. Poor guy I bet you the probios with moisture issues caused this upset. Bless his little heart. I wished they would put one of those medicine anti-moisture packs or cubes in the jar to keep it from doing it. I should have taken a closer look before mixing it up but it was not well lighting in that area and it didn't seem to be clumped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts