The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..
A few questions I have... would it be reasonable to give my goats probiotic powder for the recent and on going rainy weather conditions we have been having? I don't see any visible signs of stress other than they have been cooped up in the barn.

Also can I give probiotic powder to my milker and would her milk be safe to drink?
(It contains occuring migroorganisms and vitamins)

And.. how often can I give my goats and milker probiotic powder?

(also.. my milker.. I think suffers from anxiety. I bought her when she just turned 1 yr old. She would pace the fence.. back and forth.. back and forth. She bleats more than my other goats. She is also older than the other goats. (I have a young small herd) But when I approach the fence and walk in the pasture she calms down and likes when I am near and goes back to grazing. Now she is 2 1/4 yrs old and she still shows signs of anxiety. But she gives me alot of milk every morning for a little goat. (1qt and 8oz every morning) Is probiotics good for anxiety or is something else suggested?
Thank you.

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
Ones that I really like, that would be good in this case is Goat's Prefer Probiotics. They contain the micro organisms and extra Thiamin. The Thiamin will help with stress.
Something you might try as well. Putting a sheep sock on your nervous girl. It sounds funny but, it was recommended to me by my vet. My boys sometimes get nervous in some situations, put on their blankie and they are fine.
The vet told me that a nervous animals nerve ends are all at the surface feeling everything with their hair. When you put pressure on that hair and skin, it calms them naturally.

Probiotics are fine for long term use, my minerals contain them. The milk is also fine.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We use Goats Prefer probiotics and have used Probios brand too. Both work well for general use and stressful situations. I think they are great for general health.

Also, a holistic vet might be able to put together some calming herds to help your anxious doe. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your info!
So I can use probiotic powder everyday for general health? And what I am getting from both your info's are is; it is ok to drink her milk? I just want make sure I understand correctly!

What is a sheep sock? Is like a blanket they wear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts