The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that want into labor about 5p monday night.... to make a long story short... it want thru the night and living in Kansas no goat doctors during the night... by the time we could get her to one. we were able to save the doe but lost her kids... The vet says she is okay but she won't eat and the only way I can describe it is she acts very depressed. She will not eat and not wanting any interaction with her fellow goats or me.:confused:
No red that would note infection with her c-section cut...
Am I just too concerned?

·
14,615 Posts
Of course she's depressed she carried for 5 mo & has no kids the poor girl.
Give her B Complex. Offer warm molasses water or electrolytes water.
Also any favorite treats.

·
243 Posts
Like Nancy said, she is depressed... and probably achy, too. Do what you can to make her comfortable and cheer her up. It may take a while. She'll bounce back.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Yes..I agree with Nancy!! ...she will need extra TLC to help her through this, even if you just sit near her and sing or hum to her....keep an eye on her temp...did the vet put her on antibiotics? Pain reliever?
also if you can find a young kid, she may adopt it..

·
Registered
436 Posts
My girl lost two of her three in a similar fiasco, it took her a few days to come around, that's pretty much like going to he'll and back a bit of shock and depression I'd imagine!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. She is there with my son. I don't like it but it is the way it is. I just want to know what i can do in the future to prevent the lose... Is there a way to know if a goat con't give birth for to norrow a canal?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Awww I am so very sorry, I cant express that enough :( Other then just looking at their hips I dont think so but even then its not a for sure. We had a big heifer preg checked one time and she ended up being fixed, but this girl was BIG, any how the lady said that even if she was bred she would advise to send her down the road since it was very tight in there and would end up having issues giving birth. Again so so very sorry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
happier thoughts....

I do still have two wonderful kids... a buck and a doe.. one healthy mama and a healthy doe still expecting (only one I hope)... I miss Abbey horribly and have to think when I call them cause I always called Abbey first... but we are okay and adjusting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
baby goat in very bad trouble

short and sweet.... 103 weather... baby goat with the band put on him and in he made about a quarter size wound in was in the heat for an hour before I found him... He is stiff or more with pain. I was told to put neosporin with pain and bind him. I am distressed and more...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This web site is really hard to get to and I am usually frantic when I do... Sorry. Hope someone hears me soon cause I am about to lose my PopEye..

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Hi Lyynnrose...what his temp? I dontunderstand whats going on...your buck was banded? whats the quarter size wound from?? if you have banamine give him some for pain...tell me whats going on..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't understand how it happened but he must have been jumping some stumps and caught his privates while doing that... I keep a too close watch on my goats after losing my most valued. I am supid on this,
I was told oaky to put the meds I could put on the wound. Can I give him baby asprin?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Oh my!! I just read this thread:( So sorry! If the site is bleeding I wouldn't give baby aspirin, if it's not then I would. I'm no expert, but if you don't have anything else on hand and it's not bleeding I would. I was told I could give aspirin to my doe when I didn't have anything else.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Oh Poor baby!! I agree..aspirin will thin the blood and make bleeding worse..try Banamine for pain and swelling...How long has he been banded? I would suggest cutting the testes off the rest of the way so he cant tear them further...A vet visit might be best if this makes you squeamish ( it does me lol) But if its hanging further damage can be done...A tetanus antitoxin shot is in order.. ANd I would also begin him on antibiotics to help prevent infection..Penicillan 1 cc per 20# Sub Q for five to 7 days...Be sure to draw back the plunger , if you see blood re adjust and try again....a cool pack will help slow bleeding and numb the area a bit..best wishes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts