problem behavior

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by karmouth, Mar 1, 2009.

1. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I have a doe that has turned in to the goat from hell!!! not to people so much as to her herd mates. Sister( the problem) was always 2nd in command.Girp was the leader and poor Cousin knew her place at the bottom.
    I put all 3 in with the buck in Oct , I was able to see that Girp and Cousin settled and were on their way to being happily with kid. Sister I was not to sure of . During the holidays ,I seen Sisters start acting like she was in heat, ( discharge , bucky behavior , vocal,) I brought her to a buck ( I had since sold mine ) . Now here it is the 1st of march and she sure looks like she is bred she is as big as she was during her last pregnancy's but no bag. the other 2 are large and all bagged up and staring to show signs that not much longer to go . But the problem is she has become a real witch. She wont let the other 2 near the hay manger , or any where else I put it . She will not let them in the shelter during inclement weather and she will just haul off and butt them for no reason. I am afraid that she is going to hurt one of them . I had to leave her out of the stall and in the pasture last night because he was slamming them both into the walls. I know they will fight for a new order but this is bad.
    Could this be hormone due to being bred / or not bred . I have her separated but she is not to happy. She always bags up prior to kidding , could she be bred and be dry this time . Please some thought are needed .
    Karen

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Karen,
    I know how you feel, our herd queen is doing the same. She wouldn't let anyone in the shelter and it was snowing like crazy. She butted anyone who came near any of the hay and there were 5 places to feed from. It didn't matter where they went as she would chase them away and butt them if they didn't move. She was being really witchy with a capital *B*. I guess the others got fed up with the behaviour or she conceded defeat and let them in cause they were all in there last night at bed check.

Maybe shes just uncomfortable and taking her displeasure out on everyone. My doe let me rub my hands all over her last night. This is completely unheard of with this doe. A pat here and there is normal but not a complete rub down and butt check.

3. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Our herd Queen is a true terror when she isn't bred. When she is bred she isn't as bad and becomes a total mooch to people, can't get enough rubs n love. Whenever whe isn't bred we always consider selling her, then we breed her and remember her capacity and she stays... :roll:

4. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Is this happening when you fill the hay manger (feeding time)? If so, can you separate her while you are doing the feeding? I'm not sure how long it takes you from start to finish, and how much time you can spend in the barn.

I have had to separate my Zoe and Gabby during feeding times. Zoe is the extremely (at times) aggressive one, and I believe it is hormones from pregnancy. By the time I am done graining, filling hay tubs, and changing the water I can remove the gate and everything is fine.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I think most of us ...have one of those.....It is the #1 doe.... she wants everyone to know ...she's boss.....on everything.....some does are worse than others....and get very very mean...it is up to you if you want to keep her or not.....some do major injuries to the other does or kids....it is a hard call......but we have to put up with it...unless we decide to sell that meany. :hug:

6. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I think it is as Betterbuckskins said about her doe , I dont think she took this time . I look at her tush and she dose not look it to me .If she is bred she is all over me ,wanting me to brush her and scratch her ears . She is the one that when she has the slightest labor pain she wont let me leave her sight. She is mean to herd mates and standoffish to me now . I keep telling her that she's going to get a new zip code.