Problem-solving breeding choices

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by kannm, Feb 27, 2011.

1. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Hello all,

We would love your thoughts on this topic. I believe many people on this site have to deal with similar issues and I wonder how their thinking has developed over time.

My husband and I have been going 'round and 'round discussing how to maintain our herd and we cannot agree on anything. Our issue is that we cannot keep very many goats, but we want to have at least 4 milkers (and then we need to have younger girls in order to take the milking job on when we retire the girls and of course keep our retired girls).

At this time, our two girls are preggo and due at any time. We 'rented' a buck from 15 minutes away from an awesome lady that we liked a lot. The buck was really great, so nice, I would have loved to keep him but we cannot have boys and he is not ours anyway. :)

First issue - what type of goats do we really want to have? I love nubians but they are really big and tough to work with when they are feeling contrary. Our choice was to start breeding them towards mini Nubians. Minis are a great combination of size and good milking. We like Nubian milk, the butterfat and amount is ideal.

Second issue - there just aren't any goat people (other than the lady down the road) around here that have mini Nubians.

So, we cannot keep a buck. There are few options for minis in this area. We thought about AI but it is expensive and possibly difficult. Although, is it so much more expensive than buying a buck and then building shelter and a pen for him and feeding him all year? Also, we could not use the same buck for long as we would not like to inbreed. So how do we get our girls pregnant next year?

Also, how do we do these things while keeping in mind good genetics? I want to make improvements on our lines even if we do not register our goats (right now our girls are ADGA registered and the buck is MGDA registered). I would rather register so that our girls can contribute to breed development. It would also be nice as the babies would be worth more and people can feel confident that they know what they are getting, though for the most part we are looking at selling baby goats as pets anyway.

As I said, these issues are not new to this board, but I was hoping people might be willing to put their thoughts here and we can all chew on this issue together and maybe come up with solutions that can benefit many different types of goat families.

Thank you for your time. Kami.

2. alex43567

alex43567 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I've been at a similar crossroads with my goats: keep bucks or go to AI. From the research I did, one is not necessarily more expensive than the other. The best price I found for a liquid nitrogen tank was at sementanks.com (I think that's the site), at about $450 for a small tank. The tank basically is the "buck barn". An actual barn to house a real buck could most likey be built cheaper...but the tank can actually hold several (if not dozens) of bucks. The rest of the supplies can be found in kits from hoeggers, caprine supply and hamby dairy for around $170. Straws of semen range from $15 on up. What it came down to for me is time (although the decision isn't set in stone). Working 40+hours/week (outside the home) and helping my husband run our business, plus trying to convince my husband that the goats don't always come before him :) just doesn't make for time to keep track of does coming into heat. It's much easier to just throw them in with the buck for 6 weeks. Hope this helps.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well the only way for mini nubians to become popular in your area is to start breeding them.

If you cant own a buck in your own property then see about boarding him at someone elses place.

I am hoping to board my nigerian buck with my friends nubian buck so they both have company and i can have a buck while otherwise I wouldnt be able to

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Have you considered shipping in a few mini nubians to get started? That might be the easiest way to get mini nubians who are already a few generations down so you don't have to go through the whole breeding process of moving down generations. In the long run, it would probably equal out to about the same cost.

If you were to start with 2-3 mini nubian does. Maybe you could even have them bred before they leave the breeders. Get them shipped in from good bloodlines you could get an excellent start.

5. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    While I have decided to keep a buck, I also am interested in eventually doing AI as well. I think that the cost isn't too inpossible, but I haven't been able to really figure out how you get trained. Is it something you can teach yourself? Do you have to take a class? That is the main hold up for me at this point. I think that in my situation having one buck that can also serve as a teaser when necessary with the option of AI as well would be really useful. I look forward to watching the progression of this thread and learning more from it.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think ADGA and AGS offer workshops on AI every once in awhile. Or possibly find a vet who does it and ask if they would show you how to do it. Or even another goat breeder could possibly help you along.

I would love how to do AI as well and get a tank and everything. I just don't have time right now for that...but it's something on my list of "to do's."

7. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    You guys have good ideas.

I did not think of housing a goat with some other goat people.

I really like the AI idea. If there is training I would want to do it. This way, I could buy the best semen I could afford and have really good lines.

We talked about buying mini nubian does and getting them shipped to us. My husband worries about it because he thinks that it would only be a solution for the first year and then we would have the buck issue the next year. Still, a good idea, though. I like the idea because then we are getting unrelated does added to our herd.