The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nubian goat, Noah had one eye that looked like Pink Eye. I treated it for a few days with Tetramycin, but a day afterwards, both eyes had missing hair, pale,pink skin around the outer edges.
I really don't know what this is, but was hoping someone out there could help me.
I took pictures for you. Thanks!

image-117925791.jpg

image-1134040553.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Having pink eye myself it itches. But I would try some benadrel (sp CH alergie med) it just looks really irritated to me.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
If the eye is watery, could be irritation as Jessica84 suggested...look close to see if its scabby looking, which could mean mites...

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
I always like to start out with washing the eye with warm water and then putting eye antibiotic in it 2-4 times per day. If there is some sort of irritation, it should be improving within a couple days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Noah started having urinary problems so I called the vet. He put Noah on penicillin. We gave him an injection last night and by late afternoon today, he was playing and being his normal self once again. His eyes are also getting better. There is some crust on his left eye, which he didn't have before but the eyes have improved greatly. Our vet said to give him 7 cc's for 3 days.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Noah started having urinary problems
Pen will not help urinary Calculi if that is his issue....does he pee a steady stream or dribbles, stands hunched up,..signs of pain or blood? you can feel aroundhis penis and see if its wet, or any crystals?. Ive never personally dealt with UC in my bucks, but if caught early its treatable..other wise out come can be bleak...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noah seems to be his normal self again. I will definitely check out all the suggestions you gave me.
He was hunched over when urinating the other day and his urine stream was flowing but not at normal flow.
Thanks for the information and I will give you all a report this weekend.
BTW, can anyone suggest a really good book on goats that covers problems one might have to deal with?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Goat Medicine is a good one. It's expensive but, as far as I can tell, covers everything related to health issues and diseases. It is written by Mary Smith and David Sherman, both of whom are veterinarians. For basic care and stuff, Storey's Guide to Raising Meat Goats is a good one, as is Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats. Then there is Meat Goats - Their History, Management and Diseases.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
those are good books goatcrazy suggested..in the mean time here is an article on UC..
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/urinarycalculi06.html

If he seems fine right now.then you maybe able to correct with the AC mentioned in the article...But dont wait until he is full blown sick from UC..it can and willkill a buck..Best wishes..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the book suggestions. I will look them up for sure. It's Always good to have good references to go to.
Noah is on ammonium chloride for the possibility of urinary calculi. He allows me to drench him but doesn't like it at all. Heard it was bitter tasting. I tried putting honey in his feed but that didn't work so well.
Will be giving him this for 7 days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts