Problems feeding LGDs

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by hspeer, Mar 15, 2010.

1. hspeer

hspeer New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I am trying to use automatic feeders for my LGD's but the goats eat all the dog food in a day. Any ideas on how I can keep the goats out of the automatic dog feeder

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats not good - dog food is not healthy for the goats.

why do you need to have an automatic feeder for the dogs? wont that just make them fat and lazy? I know it would make my dog. But he isnt a LGD so maybe its different

3. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
  4. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    we have made cages for the dog feed...so that the sheep/goats cant' get it
    photo below
    [​IMG]

5. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    We feed our LGD once a day. If he does not go for it we will pull it and put it back. It is the only thing he is defensive about with the goats (this is a normal LGD trait). We tried feeders but he did not feed of of it. We try to feed enough but not to much.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    LGD's dont pig out like most dogs, they sometimes leave part of it for later.

7. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't have LGDs, but I have had dogs for 50 years. If you teach them to eat the food when you give it to them, they will. If you give it to them and they don't eat it in 10 minutes, take it away and don't give them any more until the next time (twice a day). They will learn to eat it all in a hurry. It's better for a lot of reasons not to free feed, one is that you know if they aren't eating (something is wrong with them). If there's a reason not to do this with LGDs please say why, I really don't have any experience with them.

I would freak out if my goats were eating meat based food.

Jan

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I feed my LGD once a day.... so he is excited to eat....and finishes it all.... Doing this.. has taught him... to ...instead of letting the goats have his food.. it taught him ..."hey... I only get fed once a day and I better eat it or go without".... oddly enough...before... he let the goats have his food and just walk off ...now ...he sends them off... in a nice way...and they back off .... :wink: Just my :2cents: :2cents:

Another thing to keep in mind with those all time free choice LGD feeders is.. it may call ants....ect....
    Also the feeders for the dogs ...making them go through fences... may teach a dog to go through the wrong fences..... if a dog can get in or out so can a goat... :wink:

9. hspeer

hspeer New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    my dogs will protect their food if I feed them once a day but occaisonally I leave and no food for the pups so I want to put them on automatic feeders any suggestions

10. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    One of the reasons we don't go on vacation together is because we need to feed our anatolians. They are very protective of their food and will not let a goat near their bowls if they are not done with it. They get fed twice a day the same amount to avoid them getting bloat. Bloat can kill a dog. We don't trust anyone else going out to feed them for fear they may hurt a stranger and we can't find anyone to volunteer to get to know them daily. Sorry I'm not much help but we knew what we were getting into when we got them. We do get out to see family but take seperate trips so one of us is always here.