The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have this goat that's been big for awhile not sure on her age and when she was bred. She has alot of milk in her sack and its not really really tight but i didn't know if it would get really tight being an a little older goat? And shes big.... She doesn't get up very often and breaths loud when shes sleeping. Her ligs seem gone and i can grab around her tail quite a bit but it seems like it been like this for a while. Guess my question is how do I know if theres a kid stuck? Will she at least be having contractions? I've never had that problem so im not sure. She has had little blobs of Lucas discharge here and there but nothing major.

·
14,615 Posts
If there is a kid stuck she will have contractions but quit. Blood in the string, you will need to prepare to pull.
A doe will stop labor if there is something wrong. Mal presentation or dead in utero, a bubble with no feet or head. Again, she will need assistance.
I have found that it's usually the first kid who is mal presented, but not always.
Hope this doesnt scare you , just letting you know.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I have seen no blood in the discharges and she has not had contractions so should i not worry? As long as she hasn't contracted i dont need to worry about anything being stuck right? And she big im guessing 3 or 4 kids.

·
14,615 Posts
No worries. Didnt mean to alarm you, but wanted to give you a heads up just in case.
Ligs come & go from what I hear (Im absolutely no good at them) Udder will be strutted shortly before.
When I see amber goo they usually go to work within an hour or two.

·
Registered
29,869 Posts
since you have no date on her...I would assume she is not quite ready..a glob of whit egoo could be her plug., her breathing is most likely from being heavy bred, she will slow in eating as well since babies take up a lot of room, be sure she has plenty of hay to keep her rumen up and going....as long as everything else seems fine, eating drinking peeing pooping and alert..she should be fine..

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I usually go by when the water breaks. If she has no progress for 30 minutes after that, go check. Many people will go in before, because sometimes there is a problem before the water breaks, but I haven't had first-hand experience with it. Your doe sounds like she will birth soon, but no worries ;) Good luck!

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay just making sure on the being stuck part. She just doesn't get up much and i know she has a heavy load lol. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
29,869 Posts
I woul make sure she gets up and walks a bit every few hours or so ...just to make things easier on her...also make sure she is not weak...havinher get up and walk for you wil help you assess if she needs support therepy like calcium or Propolyn Glycol...Happy Kidding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts