Proceed with disbudding Bubba Gruff?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by BeeLady, May 8, 2009.

1. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

My Nigi buckling was born Monday, May 4 making him 4 days old today. He was quite large at birth and seems very healthy. I have felt what I believe to be horn buds since he was a day old.

Today, I put him in the disbudding box, with lots of towels, and shaved around his horn buds. They are visible to me. Fortunately he did not protest the shaving or the restraint. My two doelings, now six days old, have much smaller "buds," if they could even be called horn buds. The buckling, Bubba Gruff, is more active than the doelings, remains larger than the doelings and gets along fine with his mom (or vice versa).

I am planning on disbudding him this evening before his bed time. I have read all the disbudding posts and see a discrepency in disbudding ages. So my question is, for a Nigerian Dwarf buckling, would four days be too young?

Hope to hear some opinions before I heat up the Rhinehart X50!
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh man ....I wish I can help....but I don't disbud....hope someone comes along soon to help.... :wink: :hug:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I typically do mine right about a week or so old if they are healthy and doing well - if not closer to two weeks. But I don't like them to be to big (the buds) when i do them.
  4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Should be ok. If he's healthy and strong and you can feel/see the buds give it a go. Dont forget the blue kote/iodine after.
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sorry, I do not disbud at all, so I can not say anything either. If you do it tonight good luck. :thumbup:
  6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I take mine to get disbudded when they are about 2 weeks old
  7. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

So far sounds as if Bubba should get a reprieve for today. I'm not going to do it any later than Sunday as I'd rather get these horn buds while they are smaller. This dude oozes masculinity so I think earlier rather than later is key here.
  8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Make sure to x the burn ring with him. would hate to hear scurs later.
  9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We used to do it through our vet at 5 days old but now she will only do them at 2 weeks- 3 weeks old though.
  10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Bucks usually have larger horn buds then does even at birth. I typically do my buck kids at two or three days. If i can feel them enough i do the does too. I never do anything older then five days. But i have alpines. they tend to grow A LOT faster then other breeds. I have seen nigerians done as late as two months. I have done nigerian kids at anywhere from one week to one month.
  11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    just make sure that you wait long enough till his head is big enough so that the iron isnt close to his eyelids. It makes them swell up if they are to close :(

I disbudded a little girl 4 days ago and her eyelids are just looking normal now :( I thought she had a big enough head but apparently not
  12. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Re: Proceed with disbudding Bubba Gruff? - now the girlies

Well, I did the deed with Bubba and so far no ill effects. Of course I'm not sure if there will be scurs or not but we both survived it and I think I got all the horn. But I feel so bad because I barely burned the edge of his ear and singed some hair on his head. Then I had to leave for two days while my son took care of the goats.

He looks fine today and I think I probably got it all. He is still coming up to me and climbing on me so all is forgiven.

Now I have a new dilemma. I am leaving the country for two weeks on Saturday. The doelings will be two weeks old that Saturday so I have to decide whether to disbud before or when I return, at which time they will be a month old. Right now I have an appointment at the vet's to "scoop and singe" on Thursday as their buds are smaller and I'm afraid my iron is too big for them, plus it was a bit tramatic (for me) with Bubba, and the doelings are going to a third party so I don't want to screw it up.

So, I'm thinking getting it done before I leave, when the girls are 12 days old will be better than putting it off until June. Input? :scratch:
  13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think you would be better off having them done before you leave, I had my little nigi doeling done at 19 days old and her buttons were already through the skin, which the guy that did it for me has done them later but prefers to wait on the doelings as the base is much smaller than a bucklings. So far her head has healed and you can barely see the signs of imending scurs :greengrin:
  14. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Thanks Liz. I think it might be easier on them to do it at 12 days rather than 30. So I'll plan on taking them to the vet before I go.