processed feed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Long story, but please deal with me. At 28 years old the doctor wanted to put me on pills for high cholesterol. I asked him how long and he said for life. I said no way. Started eating right [no processed foods]. In three months i loss 30 pounds. Doctor was amazed. I know I CAN'T stop GOD from calling my number when it is time, but I can choose to live better [heathly].

Anyway, the feed that I use is processed feed. I know it has things that the goats need. We only have four goats right now. A little buckling, a wether, a doe due in Oct., and lasting our MILKING doe. I would love to find a way to feed them heathly [ no processed foods]. I do believe that is killing Americas youths, people.

Tell what do ya'll think!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there is a post on here that has a listing of a person's own feed mix using raw materials (oats, bran etc)

If you want to contact her directly her handle is goathappy

If I could afford it I would mix my own but for now I cant so I just use a specific grain mix that I am happy with. It is premixed but is more close to raw then anything I have seen.

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you for the reply. If you don't mind can you please direct me to that thread.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would have to go look for it - I dont remember what it was called

5. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hey, thank you anyway for the info. I got off my tail and looked at goathappy's website and it is on there. As always, you are a big help.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Here I am! :) I totally agree with you on the processed foods thing, we used to feed our goats processed(pelleted) feed and they were never really healthy on it. Their milk tasted bad and their breath really really stank. And as a family, my mom is a huge health nut and we never eat processed food(except for maybe once a year)

Anywho, here is what we use for feed, it is 12-13% protein, and uses no soy or corn. We feed this to all goats, bucks, does and kids and have never had any problems with it. The does milk great on it. I use a 5 gallon bucket for measuring.

6 buckets of oats
    3 buckets of barley
    1 bucket BOSS
    1 bucket wheat bran
    1 bucket of beet pulp is optional if you feel they need it, just don't feed beet pulp to the boys
    4-6 cups of corn oil. Corn oil helps to keep the dust down and adds necessary fat and a few extra carbs to the mix.

7. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you very much!

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I guess it depends on where you live. Mine get 99.9% of their feed from pasture (very weedy and has mixed grasses). My milker gets oats and corn on the stand and I give a bite of corn to each of the others to get them back into their pen each evening. All are healthy and the young ones are growing well. I keep a mineral mix available too.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I hate processed feed as well. I get raw ingrediants by the bag (50 lbs each) and mixed my own. I grind my own flax seed. I have a coffee grinder set up by the feed in the barn and i grind a little each feeding.
    beth

10. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you all. So Sparks, what your mix??

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Well i mix as i go depending on each goats needs, but for the most part its two parts oats two parts barely one part corn, i throw a large handfull of black oil sunflower seeds on top and a tablespoon of ground flax seed. During the winter when their isnt as much to eat they get a haloing of beet pulp. They also get a large helping of alfalfa pellets all year long as we get crappy alfalfa hay here.
    beth

12. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I just had my wife read this to see the list of what to buy. She showed me the BIGGEST mistake I made in typing sense I have been on here. It says [I know I can stop GOD from calling my number]. The reason I put something like that on here is because NO ONE can fight GOD. Please excuse me and call me out or any one else who thinks they can stand against GOD.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha I figured you meant CAN'T when you first posted :wink:

14. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Alfalfa is hard come by here, expensive and poor quality. It has to be shipped long distances. I have native Texas crabgrass in abundance though, and it is comparable to alfalfa.