The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat before she was sick was giving about a gallon a day and now she is giving almost 2 quarts. I want to be able to at least get her back up to 3 quarts. How do I do this?:confused:

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other thing to add. We also are trying to get her weight back up. We have been giving her alfalfa cubes and trying to get her out on pasture when it's not raining but it doesn't seem to be picking up. WE have wormed her recently.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I would get alfalfa pellets and Calf Manna to add to her grain. Slowly up her grain ration a bit more. B Complex shots should help appetite. I believe someone on her had success with rice bran but do a search on it and find the thread.

You may have to milk 3 times a day but it sounds like she needs to recover from her illness too.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have alfalfa cubes and will be getting calf manna a.s.a.p. She is recovering and eating again so I have hopes. Is there anything else on production?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
^^ IDK know about that one.

I was wondering if there is a calf manna substitute? My dad looked for it at tractor supply and they didn't have it. I don't know where else to get it, so I was wondering if they might have something else that would work as well.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Alfalfa pellets will help with milk production too. Do you have other feed stores in your area?

Milking frequently and making sure they are eating things to stimulate milk production is what you can do.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Alfalfa pellets will help with milk production too. Do you have other feed stores in your area?

Milking frequently and making sure they are eating things to stimulate milk production is what you can do.
Not sure if this was meant for me or Katie- but we do feed alfalfa and grain to our milk goats, as well as BOSS. I was told that calf manna would be good to add to that, so I was just wondering if there's something similar I can substitute with.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Do you have other feed stores in your area? I know there are feed stores that make something similar but no idea on what it would be called.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if this was meant for me or Katie- but we do feed alfalfa and grain to our milk goats, as well as BOSS. I was told that calf manna would be good to add to that, so I was just wondering if there's something similar I can substitute with.
What is BOSS?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Do you have other feed stores in your area? I know there are feed stores that make something similar but no idea on what it would be called.
If the feed store is making their own, they each might call it something else. Ask them for Calf Manna and they'll give you choices if they have choices. Sometimes a fee store has so many choices it's crazy.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
IDK, I'm not the shopper, lol. I'm hoping we can keep our feed runs to a minimum. We're already getting hay and alfalfa at the local store, then grain, BOSS, minerals and such at the Tractor Supply further away. I'll have to check and see what they have- if they don't have what I need, I'll see if there are others nearby.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IDK, I'm not the shopper, lol. I'm hoping we can keep our feed runs to a minimum. We're already getting hay and alfalfa at the local store, then grain, BOSS, minerals and such at the Tractor Supply further away. I'll have to check and see what they have- if they don't have what I need, I'll see if there are others nearby.
That's how I am especiallly since we live about 30 minutes from any store that would carry these things.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Animal Station is right in Centerburg and carries all kinds of stuff. They can order what they don't have in stock too.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Animal Station is right in Centerburg and carries all kinds of stuff. They can order what they don't have in stock too.
That's right! I didn't think about that. I will have to get someone to drive me their a.s.a.p. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts