Prolapse?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dragonfly farms, Mar 1, 2009.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I went out to check on my very pregnant doe tonight and noticed something under her tail. When i got into her stall it was gone. I can only assume I saw something prolapsing. I have noticed that when she stands her vulva doesnt close all the way it is always puckered open. I am wondering what I should do? This is her first pregnancy, she is tiny and about a year old.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    When is her due date?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is normal that they are swollen and a little "open". Can you get a picture?

How close is she to delivering?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as long as it goes back in when she stands up you're ok, if it doesnt then you need to look into other options.

It isnt obnormal for a doe to protrude a little when carrying multipules

5. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    She was an accidental breeding so all i can say is she must be close. She has an udder and has been going from white to amber goo for the past few days. Her current temp is 103.4. And she is cozy in the basement (said we wouldnt have another one in the basement, but for our bottle baby we go all out :wink: )

Here are pictures of her.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah shes poochy Sometimes they can stay that poochy for a whole month! :GAAH:

7. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I noticed her being open like that for a at least a few days, maybe a week. She was just doing some back end stretching. At least she is in the house and i can hear her from my bed. She is driving me crazy, I just wish it would be over (and i am sure she does to)

This afternoon she was just standing out in the snow along screaming. I tried bringing her in with the other goats and she was uncomfortable, so DH said she could come in the basement. We put her out at feeding time and she has ended back in. (I am much happier with her in)

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    This is her this morning.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had a doe prolapse last February, was not a fun thing at all! She was due Feb. 22 and started to show a golfball size bulge on the 4th....it would go away when she stood up.

A week later I was in a panic because it kept getting bigger, like softball size, but would go in with gentle pressure from me, at that time my mom had a heart attack so I panicked further, called the vet out and he sutured her so that I was able to let her go and be at the hospital with my mom. I was sure of her due date so I was abl to snip the stitch a few days prior. She had daily betadine washes to help keep infection away. With going back and forth to the hospital, the suture was my only option. Tilly lierally had her first baby fal out of her on the 20th...at day 142.....she had triplet does and has never had more than twins, having 3 in her short body was jus too much for her to hold in...all did well though the first was reallytiny..at 1 pound 12 ounces, she aso has problems with her front leg joins...suspected deficiencies while in the womb or possible navel ill because she was dropped on a dirty floor :shrug:

Any how, keep an eye on your doe, prolapses will happen within the last 3 weeks of deliery, and it could get worse, if it does gewt bigger you will need to wash it with warm water then use the palm of your hand to gently push it back in. You do not want the delicate tissues to dry out. Putting a bit of sugar on it will shrink it as well as keep it moist.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    With her streaming as she is - you very well could have kids soon. My Dora did that for about 12 hours then delivered!!!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Allison.....the goo makes her look real close.. :wink:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tilly did that as well, but it was from the mucosa of the prolapse going back in when she stood, her vulva sort of caught the mucous as it went back in. Just watch her and if it seems to get bigger as her pregnancy progresses, I would advise her to see a vet.

13. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Well about an hour after the last pictures i was down with her and yelled to DH "its time" he came down and he helped me help her deliver two babies. They will be posted in the kidding forum!

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :leap: So very happy it wasn't a "true" prolapse!!

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    great news....congrats.... :wahoo:

16. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Me too!