Prolapses

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat Crazy, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Doe Helga is on day 145, and I think she may be suffering a small prolapse. I just noticed it today and it only happens when she stands on her hind legs, then it goes back in immediately after she's back on all fours. This is only her 2nd Freshening and I have no experience with prolapses, will it get worse with more kiddings?
    What causes them? What should I do if it gets bigger when she's in labor?
    Any help on the subject would be appreciated.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is good that it is going back in....that is a plus....you will have to monitor her....and when she get ready to kid... you must be sure... the prolaspe isn't in the way..... it will block the kids from coming out....

Prolapsing can get worse yes....there is no prediction with them... the more kids they have in there the more chances of the prolapse to be worse...ect

Sometimes hereditary... sometimes it is rebreeding them to soon... not giving them a chance to get back into condition... Or there isn't enough room in there....so it is being pushing out...

Here is a good link on putting i t back in...
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... apses.html
    Your Doe may go through Labor without any issues... she is getting closer to kidding.....but make sure... you are there...in case.... I pray... it all goes well ... :hug: :pray:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    This was happening pretty bad with Ally whenever she stood up on her hind legs to eat out of the hay feeder so Ashley put her on stall rest and the prolapse stopped and she kidded just fine.

Since it goes back in when standing normally I would remove anything that makes her stand on her hindlegs or just put her on stall rest till she kids.

4. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Thanks, she is in my kidding stall with 2 other young does. She stands on the pen wall, so no chance of re-moving it:) Good thing is I am pretty sure she only stands on her hind legs when I'm in the barn and she's looking for a handout. It may come out when she lays down too, but she never lays down when i'm in the barn.
    I'm pretty sure that this is a new thing, that started today. If its pressure from the kids then I hope she kids soon. I can't wait to see what she has!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As long as it goes back in... she will be fine..... :hi5:

After she kids... I would highly recommend... putting a afterbirth bolus up there ....after her afterbirth drops out....beings that she is prolapsing... when it come out... there could be dirt ect...on it ...as it goes back in....the bolus will help to keep away infection..... :hug: