The Goat Spot Forum banner

Prolonged Gestation

861 views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
We bought a Nigerian Dwarf doe that was already bred. Based on the breeding date that the owner gave, she is currently at 152 days gestation. She has multiple times over the past 10 days, shown signs that made me think "tonight is the night!" But then in the morning is back to normal. She's eating, drinking, acting as comfortable as you can with a massive belly, has little to no discharge.
Has anyone had experience with Nigies going this long? I'm leaning towards the old owner being wrong about the breeding date?

Also, yes she is confirmed pregnant by ultrasound but we didn't try to measure the kids at that point because we thought we knew the due date. I'm assuming now they'd be way too big to get an accurate measurement on.

#5 ·
I've had Nigerians that kidded at day 155.

I personally disagree that NDs should go by the 145 day rule. A goat is a goat and they go by 150 give or take 5 days. I know some have gone earlier but a lot of NDs I have been around that 150 day mark.

I agree, what are her ligs doing? Did the breeder write down the specific day of breeding or is she guessing?

#14 ·
Those 2 babies are adorable… I’m glad they made it!
I had some kidding trouble this year. I’m pretty sure due to selenium deficiency… I had one little one who was teeny tiny and very weak. I gave her a little shot of multi min and some vitamin e capsule and that helped her out.
Hopefully both your little ones are good strong nursers 🍀❤🍀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.