prolonged labor? or labor at all?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 9, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey, Alaska's getting a taste of what the East Coast had this year, over one foot of the stuff in less than 14 hours.

anyway- Calypso is a FF, and I have no idea when she was bred :D fun!

I moved her into the stall with her buddie, Katie at 4pm yesterday both were acting weird, Katie is due around April 15-20th and she's huge, but the udder is only halfway there. Calypso's udder is only like two handfulls.

so at around 8pm, I went to check them and Calypso was laying on her side, head in the straw, pushing out with her back legs, not a hard contraction though. she got up when I got in there and she's really poochy, ligs are almost gone, and about 1/2" of white goop (plug?) it didn't look like the clear, amber stuff.

Well, I went and checked hourly last night, and pretty much all she's done is poo all over her stall, ligs are still there, but soft, udder is still small... but she'll still have a soft contraction, lay down, shift to her side and push a bit.

I did go in at about 12am last night, only two fingers but it's really tight, not like a normal doe in labor

I'd upload pics, but our other computer is at the shop, when we get it back today I'll upload.

thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she could be stretchign and getting the kids into position.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so like a false labor?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hmm.... :chin: the kids may be pushing on something inside.. that is making her uncomfortable ..... by doing what she is doing ...it may be that ....she is repositioning....the babies.....to a more comfortable spot... if her udder isn't all the way filled ...and she still has her ligs.... she might not be quite ready yet.... also if she isn't in a full pushing mode... she is most likely not ...in labor.. :hug:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok thanks,

that's what i was thinking, but i didnt want to blow it off like nothing and have a stuck kid

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :hug: I know how you feel.... I am glad ..you went "in" and checked her.... Just keep an eye on her.... :hug:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so... when they start having 'practice' labors, how close would you say that they are?

like within how many days?

;) thanks