The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted, so a quick update. I have a mini lamancha who was exposed to a young Boer a while back. She was a first timer and aborted twins at about 100 days gestation. Her name is Nanny.
I have now expanded my herd with a Nigerian dwarf first freshener (Maggie) and her daughter who is half fainting goat(Dolly). From a different individual I purchased a 4yr old billy Nigerian dwarf who is proven (they were getting a new buck to freshen genetics) named Dodger.
Nanny started showing signs of coming in heat so I put her with Dodger. The following morning she was in standing heat. I left her with him a total of three days, assuming that would be plenty of time. I seen him repeatedly mount. Two days later I noticed her tail wagging and mounting Dolly. I have heard of extended heats so I took her back to dodger. She immediately stood for him.she stayed with him another 24hrs.
It has now been 9 days since I first exposed Nanny to Dodger. Today Maggie was tail wagging and had discharge. Instead of taking her to Dodger and listening to Dolly scream(despite being weaned her mom is still her best friend) I decided to let Dolly into the backyard which is right next to the doe pen and let Dodger go in with the two does since Nanny should have been bred.
But Dodger just ignores poor Maggie in favor of Nanny and Nanny is still letting him mount her!
Is this just normal or is Nanny just being promiscuous. She shouldnt let him mount if she is bred right?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Sometimes after a miscarriage Goats can have difficulty settling. At your vet visit might discuss cystic ovaries.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Maybe have your vet check her for an infection? She can't settle is she has an infection and it might cause her to stand for the buck?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Are they getting a good loose mineral?
The reason I am asking is, one of my does had extended heats. I wasn’t breeding her at the time, but she had definite heat, (with loud vocalizing and wanting to run off the milk stand to get to the buck) for many days in a row, then again after 2 days break. This happened for 2 or 3 heat cycles.
At that time I didn’t know about loose minerals and had just the mineral blocks for my goats.
After I got loose minerals her heats became normal and it never happened again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts