protecting feet from mucky and damp

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Graffogefarms, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Is there anything on the market that is a spray on to protect goats feet, we have soo much muck and wet and damp here, I feel sorry for them, but with 55 in total, it is hard to go around the lot sometimes. I can't do anymore than what I am doing. The sheds in the back, there is so much muck getting to the sheds, as we never got around to doing anything solid, because of finances. Just wish there was some kind of waterproof protectant that we could spray on their feet

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Bridget I am not aware of anything that would be a waterproof protect ant but maybe someone else does.

good to hear from you :thumb:

3. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I don't know of anything that you could put on their feet. But look in the horse section at your feed store for products meant to treat thrush by drying out the foot or for other protectant type things. I assume these products are suitable for all hoofed livestock.

Our stalls have dirt floors. Add that with horses who insist on "going" in their (all four horses...what a bunch of butts) I felt like I really needed to do something too. I got rubber mats for the floors so I could spray them off. I got them pretty cheap by going to a trailer retailer and buying the ones that go in the bottom of your trailer.

If not that, try good ole straw. I decided to separate my goats from my horses since they are pregnant, but the stall I separated for them was still pretty yucky. So, I shoveled out what I could and laid out a full bail of straw. My goats don't eat it because they prefer the alfalfa I feed, so all is well. Good luck!