The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 4 year old Julie who is a boar/nubian has grown a set of large horns. She knows how to use them and its becoming a problem. Say other posts about rubber bicycle grips any other ideas? We are afraid that she will/could hurt someone.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have read about people who glue super balls to the horns or even attach sticks across them to make them less dangerous. You can also blunt them by cutting just the tips off and filing the horns so they at not so pointy. But really, it is a problem even with these solutions because the horns are still hard and can cause harm. Try to do some training with a squirt bottle on stream filled with water and vinegar. Each time she is inappropriate with her horns, tell her no and squirt her in the face. She will soon start to react to just the no and hopefully get better with time and consistent training. Good luck!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Anything you put on the horns is not fixing the problem. Like putting a band aid on cancer I think the saying goes. Need a little more detail on how she is using them and on who. Boars are very hard to teach any kind of horn training and then adding 4 years on top of it... I think id have to go with a shock collar right off the bat. Most boars I have dealt with dont take to kindly to being flipped and are likely to get up more pissed then humbled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts