The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am pretty unfamiliar with protein blocks for goats. I did see another post that said some folks like to wait til the 3rd month of pregnancy to put them out. My nigies have hay (Timothy 75% x alfalfa 25%) available to eat as much as they want. They have sweet lix meat maker mineral in a couple wall bins. They also get free choice alfalfa pellets. Would it hurt to give them a protein block as well? I would love to give them all the benefits they can get if possible.

Also I gave the gals a dose of the Selenium/bit E gel paste a month ago today, I have 2 of the 4 pregnant does have an "iffy" tail (the reason for the last dose), the tails do appear better than before the last dose a month ago and i am wondering if they would be safe with another dose of the gel? I do not have BoSe, just the gel, last year we hit a doe with it 3 times in the last 1.5 months before she delivered. This time I would space it out more since this time I already own them. What do you guys think?

Back to the protein block subject these are all of the protein blocks in the area for any stock animals. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough to see them. If a block would be beneficial for my gals, which one would be best do you think with the ratios and minerals?

I'll post pictures of each of the girls with their due dates as well in the reply.
0110201247.jpeg
0110201248a.jpeg
0110201308.jpeg
0110201309.jpeg

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Juniper is my first doe due, she is a first freshener, she is the horned buckskin,due March 14th.s
She is one of my gals with a slight selenium tail

Cavatina is next, 2nd freshener, due March 22nd and she is the blonde and red buckskin. Her tail looks fine.

Lorraine is next, 3rd freshening, she is my saddle bag doe! She looks really big and I am not sure if its kids or just poof poof and only twins haha. She gets a lovely time bulge in general. Her tail looks fine at times and other times it looks funky. She is the black doe with moon spots.

Sunflower is last and she is a 2nd freshener. She is another one with a deficient tail. She looks goodweight wise, just struggling with the Selenium tail. She is the disbudded buckskin doe. Sorry about Sunny's side pic lol, she was scratching her side and her daughter Juniper is standing behind her, her back isn't arched up, I had to take a 2nd glance lol.
0114201559e.jpeg
0114201602e.jpeg
0114201602c.jpeg
0114201558f.jpeg
0114201601c.jpeg
0114201553a.jpeg
0114201602.jpeg
0114201559h.jpeg

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also with a protein block do I need to be worried that the kids will get large like with too much grain? I don't give my pregnant girls any grain except for a handful to help home them still for shots or trimming.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't use protein tubs yet but have looked into it. From what I understand your goats will only be at the protein tub as they feel they need protein.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
So I am pretty unfamiliar with protein blocks for goats. I did see another post that said some folks like to wait til the 3rd month of pregnancy to put them out. My nigies have hay (Timothy 75% x alfalfa 25%) available to eat as much as they want. They have sweet lix meat maker mineral in a couple wall bins. They also get free choice alfalfa pellets. Would it hurt to give them a protein block as well? I would love to give them all the benefits they can get if possible.

Also I gave the gals a dose of the Selenium/bit E gel paste a month ago today, I have 2 of the 4 pregnant does have an "iffy" tail (the reason for the last dose), the tails do appear better than before the last dose a month ago and i am wondering if they would be safe with another dose of the gel? I do not have BoSe, just the gel, last year we hit a doe with it 3 times in the last 1.5 months before she delivered. This time I would space it out more since this time I already own them. What do you guys think?

Back to the protein block subject these are all of the protein blocks in the area for any stock animals. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough to see them. If a block would be beneficial for my gals, which one would be best do you think with the ratios and minerals?

I'll post pictures of each of the girls with their due dates as well in the reply. View attachment 169595 View attachment 169597 View attachment 169599 View attachment 169601
I am curious as to where you get the Sweetlix Meat maker Protein Block? Would happen to be able to give me a link? Thanks You!! And by the way your goats are really cute:inlove:

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ok first DO NOT NOT NOT give that second one. It has urea in it and that is bad news for goats. I really don’t like blocks too much because they end up crumbling and a good amount ends up wasting. But if that’s all you can get and you want to try it then that’s all you can get ;)
Mineral wise for the blocks, basically look at the minerals in them as you would a bag of pellets. There is going to be minerals in them but really not enough to do much of anything.
My phone stopped blowing the pictures up after the tub but from what my eyes allow me to see it looks like the third one is what will give you more bang for your $ since it is the highest in protein and fat. Olive oil is correct they usually only eat as much as is needed. Here’s my thinking on that block though, either they will not consume as much as the other block because it is so high in protein so it will stretch longer OR they are going to eat it at the same rate as the lower protein blocks because they are just needing a little bit of extra protein and end up with a lot. I’m not sure which way it would go.......or maybe they don’t need any extra and they don’t touch it. But I think if it was me I would go ahead and pass on the third block and go for one a bit more in the 15-18% range since they are pregnant. You can always wait until they kid and experiment with the 30 and another block. I can’t get that last block picture to blow but so I honestly can’t tell you which one I would vote on.
But I would try it and see how it goes. The block is basically a protein tub in a block and I have the tubs out. I do it a bit different then others and I keep them out all year long so they can pick and choose when they want it but I don’t end up with super large kids like I did with grain and I think because they do not pig out on it like they do grain. But also know that if they don’t need it, they are not going to eat it. So it also might be a total waste of money. So I would make sure to put it in a place that it can stay clean and dry just in case they don’t eat it now it stays good and they can eat it later if they want.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are awesome!! Thank you for answering my questions. So you might think I'm nuts but I have one of these nest boxes in my garage that is only a year old and was never hung up. I was almost thinking I'm put the block up and screw it right to the wall, then they can't climb on it, the hole is large enough they can't get stuck but not so big they can really get in trouble with it. They could just nibble on it off the wall. What do you think? I'm a weirdo, reminded me of a salt block holder when I thought of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Iluvlilly! I just saw your post, I actually ran around to my local coops in a 50 mile radius and too pictures of everything protein related lol. I'm sure sweet lix would sell right from their site or maybe check on amazon :)

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
You guys are awesome!! Thank you for answering my questions. So you might think I'm nuts but I have one of these nest boxes in my garage that is only a year old and was never hung up. I was almost thinking I'm put the block up and screw it right to the wall, then they can't climb on it, the hole is large enough they can't get stuck but not so big they can really get in trouble with it. They could just nibble on it off the wall. What do you think? I'm a weirdo, reminded me of a salt block holder when I thought of it.
How sturdy is the plastic? It's a great idea but knowing my goats they'd use it for a launch pad or climbing toy. Maybe if you hung it high with a cinder block for their front feet so they could just get their heads in...they might not...then again, I have stinkers who think if it's in the barn it's a toy. LOL

·
14,760 Posts
Do you have a feed store that could order a tub for you? if so I'd look into getting a goat specific tub like Crystalyx Goatlyx
https://www.crystalyx.com/products/goat-lyx/

We are currently using this one, but it's 200lb tub. So far so good, our goats really like it.
It's Purina Accuration Hi Fat tub (not block)
https://www.purinamills.com/Busines...k/Purina-Accuration-Hi-Fat-Block.pdf?ext=.pdf

I've also heard the Vitacharge tubs are supposed to be good as well, and want to say a member here on the forum might have found theirs at Rural King?

I don't like blocks as they definitely tend to waste them more, they get moist when broken down and I've had a doe that would stand there and eat, and eat on it. The tub we have is hard pressed with molasses yet looks similar to a block, but it's much harder for them to overeat on them.

As for keeping them off of the tub. I think it was Jessica that told me a long time ago to put them on their side, lean them in the corner or against the wall so they can't stand on them, and helps keep poo/pee off. That's what we've always done and works great. With the 200lb. tub I tried to keep it upright, and saw a young doe standing on it, ugh! so we turned it on it's side, and so far so good. The tubs are strong and we've used them for lots of things.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We just started putting out the protein tubs for our pregnant goats. I got the Vitalix (blue tub) from Rural King. So far it has been a hit, and no one has consumed so much that they have had diarrhea or upset rumens. The doe I see at the tub the most is the one who is due first (mid-March). We also got a goat protein block out, which they’ve picked at a little, but they much prefer the tub over the block. They haven’t jumped on the tub yet. Next time I’ll probably get the 200# one and lay it on it’s side.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I'm really picky about what my animals eat so if I can't get the vitalix tubs they go without.
Crystalyx is made from feather meal sourced from factory chicken farms (Tyson) and almost all purina tubs contain urea. The one mentioned above is 17%.

·
14,760 Posts
Interesting as the Purina tub we have there was no mention of urea on the label and it was labeled for cattle & goats. I even asked the feed store owner about goat safe products (he knows a lot about all species when it comes to feed/supplemental products), and it was the one he recommended.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
PURINA
PURINA ACCURATION HI-FAT BLOCK
SUPPLEMENT FEED FOR CATTLE, SHEEP, AND GOATS ON PASTURE
GUARANTEEDANALYSIS
Crude Protein, (Min)................................................................25.00 %
(This includes not more than 17.00% equivalent
crude protein from non-protein nitrogen.)
Crude Fat, (Min) ....................................................10.00 %
Crude Fiber, (Max)..........................................................3.00 %
Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF), (Max).........................4.00 %
Calcium (Ca), (Min) .................................................2.25 %
Calcium (Ca), (Max).................................................2.75 %
Phosphorus (P), (Min).............................................1.00 %
Salt (NaCl), (Min).....................................................2.25 %
Salt (NaCl), (Max)....................................................2.75 %
Potassium (K), (Min)...............................................1.20 %
Copper (Cu), ppm, (Min)...........................................18.00
Copper (Cu), ppm, (Max) ..........................................21.60
Added Selenium (Se), ppm, (Min) ..............................1.20
Total Selenium (Se), ppm, (Min).................................1.40
Total Selenium (Se), ppm, (Max)................................1.68
Vitamin A, I.U./lb, (Min)............................................15000

(This includes not more than 17.00% equivalent
crude protein from non-protein nitrogen.
^^^Urea

·
14,760 Posts
Interesting. I was told the tub doesn't have Urea in it. You'd think if it was not safe for goats they would not label it safe for goats. Our goats are doing well on this tub (not block).

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
The block and tub are the same, just one ingredient page.

Non-protein nitrogen (or NPN) is a term used in animal nutrition to refer collectively to components such as urea, biuret, and ammonia, which are not proteins but can be converted into proteins by microbes in the ruminant stomach.

·
14,760 Posts
Interesting. I did a little bit of reading before bed, and what I read had stated urea poisoning if too much is consumed. Our does do not consume the daily limit or come close to it, so I'd think they wouldn't be consuming a toxic or near a toxic level. They are at their tub randomly, and eat on it but not excessively per what has been consumed.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
If your goats have been licking from it for many years, with no ill effect, I really think the UREA, isn't at a harmful level. And should be OK.
I wouldn't change a thing.

It is strange though, it is even in it at all. Makes you wonder why?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just following up, I had bought the sweet lix meat maker protein block and put it in one of those over the fence feeders. Its a hit, they are using it and thus far its staying clean because of the location lol. They aren't mowing through it by any means but between the 7 girls, 4-5 of whom are pregnant they have whittled an inch off of it (Since Jan 20th). They still get free choice their alfalfa pellets, sweet lix meat maker mineral, and alfalfa x timothy hay.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts