The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen plenty of meat goat growers who say they love their protein blocks or tubs. This year, hay was scarce in my area, and the little people produced was lower quality. I know lots of dairy people use alfalfa and grain/concentrates to supply their protein, but with so many meat producers just putting out a protein tub, it got me wondering if there's a reason I don't hear about it from dairy people.

Do dairy goat owners use protein tubs?

Any reason why grain is a better way to provide protein for dairy goats?

Any way a protein tub would give me super huge, fat kids? I'm happy with the birth weights here so far and really don't want the kids any bigger. My first kidding was a disaster with an enormous kid. I don't want a repeat.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've seen plenty of meat goat growers who say they love their protein blocks or tubs. This year, hay was scarce in my area, and the little people produced was lower quality. I know lots of dairy people use alfalfa and grain/concentrates to supply their protein, but with so many meat producers just putting out a protein tub, it got me wondering if there's a reason I don't hear about it from dairy people.

Do dairy goat owners use protein tubs?

Any reason why grain is a better way to provide protein for dairy goats?

Any way a protein tub would give me super huge, fat kids? I'm happy with the birth weights here so far and really don't want the kids any bigger. My first kidding was a disaster with an enormous kid. I don't want a repeat.
I just started this year with our Nubians. I'm in the same situation, horrible hay year, my girls went from second and third cutting alfalfa in prior years to grass hay this year.

I also supplemented with lots of alfalfa pellets, some grain, and a huge protein tub from TSC. So far 2 does kidded and all is well.

I like that the does can eat from it at will and get their protein needs met. I have 2 does that don't know when enough is enough and they are protein tub addicts to the point of giving themselves really soft poop (sorry if TMI). Everyone else in the herd knows how to eat in moderation and it's helped my does keep their condition.

I haven't had any larger than normal kids yet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I just put a protein tub out for my girls. They’re all Nigerian dwarf. First is due to kid near the end of March. No one has been such a piggy that they have the runs. I’ve not started graining yet, just alfalfa pellets and free choice hay (grass mix, some alfalfa). I also have a protein block out, much less popular than the tub.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Because us meat breeders just thought of it first lol ok ok I’ll be serious :p
I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to put out for dairy does. And it sounds like it would be the perfect option for you or your hay isn’t that great this year.
I haven’t had freakishly large kids with feeding the tubs. I can’t say the same about grain. I think the reason behind that is because they eat grain no matter if they need it or not. It’s candy! As we know if you gave them 200# of grain they would eat it till they died. But we can roll that tub out and the worse we have is maybe looser stools, which is usually when it’s introduced fast........or if you have one or Cristina-sorinas goats :p

·
Registered
449 Posts
They are used less with dairy simply because the dairy girls get their needs met on the stand twice a day for 10 months out every 12.

I dry my does off in October (kids sports get crazy about then) and I have occasionally used protein tubs. I prefer the smaller 5 gallon buckets though as otherwise my dry yearlings jump in them and dance around getting poo all over it in the process.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far I have been mixing my own grain for my goats with oats for energy, soybean meal for protein, and BOSS for fat.

Hypothetically, then, if I get a protein tub for my dairy girls, could I leave the protein ingredient out of their grain mix? Will they be able to get enough for milk production?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
So far I have been mixing my own grain for my goats with oats for energy, soybean meal for protein, and BOSS for fat.

Hypothetically, then, if I get a protein tub for my dairy girls, could I leave the protein ingredient out of their grain mix? Will they be able to get enough for milk production?
No I don't think so

·
Registered
449 Posts

No. Milk production, especially for high production does that milk for a long time, takes a really high amount of protein and general nutrition.

Meat breed does milk like crazy but only for a short period of time. In the few months they are raising kids it's not unusual that they lose quite a bit of condition. That's not that big a deal as they have a long dry period to gain it back before the end of their next pregnancy and coming into milk again.

This is one of the reasons that feeding for these two different types can have such drastic differences.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes sense. I won’t bother with a protein block/tub then. If they’ll still need protein on the milk stand, I can always give them a little more when the hay is poor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts