The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so proud of Legion today. As part of a 4H clinic I got to bring Legion and his pack gear and talk a little bit about pack goats and the do's and don'ts. This is the first time in at least 6 months he has left the property other then a couple of quick very locale walks. And it was his first time being fully outfitted and some weight put in his panniers. Aside from handling that perfectly he was surrounded by kids and parents and 8, yep 8 dogs and acted like a total gentleman. Not once getting spooked or skiddish. Didnt take a swipe at any of the dogs but calmly sniffed em, even when they ran near him or started barking. He stood tall and proud for pictures and pets. This was also the first time he has been hi lined since the rendy last year and other then a couple of quite calls to me when I would walk away, he acted like he had been doing it for years. But most of the time he was off his lead and allowed to wonder around, though never getting more then a few steps away from me. He didnt try to eat the flowers or the trees or even the grain outta the lip pan that someone had brought to show how to show clip a goat. Granted the grain wasnt his normal stuff and after a sniff of it one time, he never even gave it a second look. But even the stuff on all the tables were given a quick once over and ignored the rest of the day. And at the end when all but us and the 4H leaders family were sitting around chatting he just laid down behind my chair and took a little nap. A bird dog breeder came up to me and said "I dont know how you did it but that goat behaves better then most dogs Ive been around. And a hell of a lot better then any other goat I have been around." :) Yep am a proud papa for sure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Way to go Legion! Promoting the pack goat like you did yesterday is outstanding! And in the nearly 100* heat we had yesterday no less! I'm sure Mary, Diona and the other adults along with the kids enjoyed seeing such a well behaved goat. It sure gives the kids something to work toward! You have reason to be very proud and puff up your chest! :p

·
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I can think of is he is paying it back for saving his life when he was born... Its funny the silver boy I picked for myself this year (who ended up with the huge hernia and went to live with our vet) had the same personality and he to almost died and was brought back from the verge. Though, when Legion was a baby we used to go out into the back yard. Id sit down and he would slide into my lap and lay down and get scratched and petted. He tired to kinda do the same thing at the 4h thing but being as big as he is now, we just had to settle for him resting a hoof in my lap.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ha! My Saanen used to sit in my lap all the time when he was a baby and rest his chin on my shoulder, or just lay and chew his cud. It took him a while to learn that he can't do that anymore, so instead he sometimes lays down next to me and leans against me, or puts his head in my lap - it's very cute. And Django comes up to me a lot more now when I'm sitting down and wants his ears scratched, or tries to eat my hair! :)

·
Banned
849 Posts
That's awesome, Dave! I'm glad your fella did so well and you had such a good time. What a great experience for everyone. Congratulations!

Wish you could have been at the Rendy. Legion and Cuzco could have had a swim-off. Phil and I went for a dunk in the lake and Cuzco unexpectedly and without invitation just followed us into the water, and with a little coaxing, started swimming! Never, ever would I have thought he would do such a thing for any reason. But he acted like it was no big deal. Who knew? So we're both proud goat owners today. I'll post photos and a video in Cuzco's thread when we get home. :)

·
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I loved the rendy last year and would of loved to have been able to make it to this one. But 15 hours without a suitable means to haul Legion, just couldnt do it. Not to mention busy busy busy! And I would love to put a good face scratching to Cuzco :) Almost took Legion out for a swim on Monday after our hay shipment was put up but the water is still about a foot to high making it to swift. But yes, would have LOVED to have dont a swim off :)

·
Banned
849 Posts
We missed meeting you and Legion. Maybe we can have that swim-off next year if Cuzco isn't too old by then. Wouldn't want him to die of a heart attack in the cold water!

As for Cuzco getting his face scratched, I'm afraid it probably wouldn't have happened anyway. Cuzco prefers to be admired from a distance. He seems to think that personal interaction is beneath his dignity and will usually retreat from an intrusive hand and rebuff a persistent one. A back scratch is ok, but the face is off limits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts