PSA - Deworming

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Just a public service announcement..

Be sure when you go to deworm using a paste, that the ring that STOPS the dewormer isn't broken.

Else you might accidentally give an entire tube to a goat and your goat might chug it like it's candy and send you into full blown panic mode and tears.

Then you might have to run to the computer to find someone to help you, and spend an hour on a poison hotline.

And you might send your husband to the store to get oatmeal and Pepto in case the goat gets the runs.

:sigh:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks for the heads up....sorry it happened to you..... :hug:

3. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Aw hon I'm so sorry! Is your goat okay? I can't imagine this is fatal...

I had a similar thing happen when I went to sedate my horse. I used a tube of buteral and the ring was broken. Luckily there was only 3 (of a 12 dose - 12 gram tube) doses left, and that was not nearly enough to do anything but make the horse groggy!

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hope SHOULD be okay. I immediately sought the advice of a member here: Allison, who was VERY helpful.

She might get sick, she might get the runs. I gave her oatmeal, and have pepto on hand to help with the runs.

She is my favorite goat, and due to kid in January, so you can imagine I was distraught.

And of course, she is the only goat who will gobble down anything I stick in front of her nose, with the other goats, they all fussed and fought while being dewormed...

5. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Oh thank goodness! Keep us posted! :hug:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I aways worry about those horse pastes, so if I have to use them then I squirt the amount I am going to use into another syringe first.

What kind of dewormer was this? I will :pray: for your doe.

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It was safeguard. And you can be sure I'll be using my own syringes from now on.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Safeguard paste smells soooo good too.....no wonder she literally sucked it down! I'm sure you got great advice on what to do IF she got sick from too much :thumbup:

Febendazole is fairly safe though I do know that too much in a dog can cause the runs or vomiting, not sure with a goat though.....good thing their metabolism is high. She should let you know how it affects her within the next few hours to the next day. Good call on the oatmeal Allison :thumbup:

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh, for Hope, it doesn't matter how it smells or tastes, she WANTS it. She'll suck down Ivemectin like that too...weirdo.

She didn't get any Ivemectin today, but she did her best to steal it from the other goats.

I guess she's sure to be clear of tapeworms, eh..?

:roll:

I'll keep you updated, it happened around 4pm central and I've been checking on her every couple of hours. So far she's stuffed her face with alfafa cubes and told me in no uncertain terms that she wants some "real" food.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh you must have been the person Allison was talking about when she asked me if a pregnant nigerian dwarf would be harmed by having a whole tube of safeguard -- the answer is no

she contacted me at work but didnt say who's goat it was.

The name Safeguard states it itself -- SAFE :thumb:

She mentioned a bottle of safeguard and since I wasnt familiar with the goat safeguard I mentioned the diarrhea could result from to much of anything -- I wouldnt be worried about safeguard horse paste. Thankfully it was that wormer and not something else.

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That was certainly me. Thank you so much for relaying that information to her, so that she could tell me.

As you can imagine I was very upset and quite sure I had just made a huge mistake. :hair:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh I call people all the time when I am unsure -- crazier things have happened, Im just glad it was only safeguard

if you dont see any signs of off behavior by tomorrow then she will be fine

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I think the only wormers you can overdose are Quest(moxidectin) and Levasole. The others are relatively safe to my understanding. This being said, there is always a goat that is the exception to the rule.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How is Hope today? I'm sure she's fine but was just checking.

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    She's doing just great! :thumbup:

No sign of the runs even. Her usual self, thumping the other does so she can "share" in the alfafa.

I hate to sound melodramatic, but if something devastating would have happened, I would have been done. She is my favorite goat, and a special pet, and frankly sometimes it really feels like I've been plagued with bad fortune when it comes to goats.

As it is, I canceled Rudy's visit to the buck down the road today, and will be reevaluating what I want to do with goats. Unless I'm very much mistaken, Rudy has never once gone into a heat, even when she spent over a month in with Buckly. (I've posted before on her) And then I have Snowflake, who was bred four times by Buckly, (There's a thread about that too!) around the same time as Hope, yet has no udder development and I cannot feel kids. Granted, I can barely keep my hands on her stomach for more than a moment.

Hope has an udder and is certainly pregnant, Cowbell is too old in my mind to breed again, and I recently sold Sugar to a family that just plain fell in love with her.

And I have two doelings coming here in Jan-Feb, which will be another year or so before they can be bred.

So I admit, I am wondering if I should just keep pets, and not bother purchasing another buck. Worst case scenario, I have some lovely hay burners for the rest of their lives (Some, like Snowflake, would be sold). Best case scenario, I have some lovely hay burners for the rest of their lives, that perhaps get bred once in a while by the buck down the road.

Wow I really went off topic...sorry :doh:

16. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    :hug: Take it easy...Stuff like this happens. The last time I came close to selling my herd but I realized that everything does happen for a reason. I've broke down many times but I also find that those kiddos make it so much easier to get through. :hug: