The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a year and a half year old toggenburg doe who came down with mastits. I had a milk culture done and it came back with pseudomonas, proteus. The vet did a test to see if spectramast would do anything to kill it and it didn't. I've been told nothing will take care of it so my question is, what do I do with the doe. I can have a culture sent to state but have to wait 10 days before I do that to make sure all medicine is out of her system. By then she could be totally dried up b/c that would be this Thursdy and I've been dealing with this for a couple weeks already.

Will it eventually go away when she is dried up? If she gets pregnant will it come back when the kids are born? She is CAE positive, so I really don't want her kids drinking from her...should I just let her dry up then? OR should I get rid of her to be safe? What would you sell her as? Meat, or pet? and how much should I sell her for if this is the route to go?
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
65,341 Posts
If you don't get rid of the mastitis, then it will remain in her. With her being CAE positive and now this mastitis, I would probably put her down or sell her as strictly a pet. It would really be bad to pass her on to someone else as a breeder with her problems. I would also be honest and tell the new person everything about her.

You can certainly see if there is something that will clear up the mastitis but if nothing will, she will continue to have mastitis.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top