The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on here that when your goat starts challenging you to pinch their ear. That doesn't work, that just makes Miracle go even more nuts. She keeps challenging (rearing up, ramming me at the knee joint, poking me with her horns, ect.) me after she sniffs between my legs or when I tell her no. I have th bruises to prove it too. This hasn't been going on long, but if it keeps up I am considering selling her. :( I have heard of penning them down can help to show you are the boss. How do you do that? Keep in mind this goat is 170-180 lbs. and I can only bench like 55lbs. I think a squirt gun would likely work too. Haven't tried it yet, but would like too. Any other suggestions and insights are welcome. I'm just at a loss as to what to do. And I'm the only one who she does it too.

·
I'm watching you
22,536 Posts
I had one like this. He saw me as a challenge to his position in the herd. He was a very large Tog/Boer mix that was supposed to be a pack goat. Here's what I did with him.
I put him on a high line. A high line is a strong peice of rope with a ring tied in middle so that it won't slip. It is tied between 2 trees, 7 feet off the ground and has a strong 6 foot leash attached to the ring. This is a safe way to tie a goat. We use these when camping overnight.
Anyway, I put him on this and then I went to war. My weapons were a water gun, a spray bottle, and a horse crop. When he would come at me, he got sprayed. When he wouldn't back off and respect my space, he got sprayed. When he would rear up at me, his front feet got whacked with the horse crop. He lived on that high line until I could feed, water, brush, pick up his feet, etc. It took about 2 weeks. After that he never did relapse and became extremely gentle and easy to handle.

·
14,615 Posts
My problem is at grain time when oinkies who dont need grain nose their way in.
Sometimes pinching ears works, but I have taken to lowering my head just like they do, you know, that warning & trying to grunt lke them.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
if you try flipping her..be careful of the horns...you take a front leg and opposite back leg and flip..watch for horns!!! once she is down you lay on her, put you knee on her what ever you can without hurting her or you and keep her there until she is calm. Once she is calm you get up and walk off..dont even look back ( except sideways to make she she's not heading after you lol..) I would try goathikers idea first..but if all else fells..toss her..

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Maybe she needs a friend?

I am so unlucky when it comes to aggressive goats. Had my first Boer buck BOTTLE RAISED, he was still was mean and tried to kill you, so we sold him. Had my second Boer buck ALSO bottle raised, he is not too aggressive, but only wants to breed with me, never the does. I got so sick and tired of him that I stayed away from him for 6 months. Last week I went in there with him, and he is such a sweetheart :) The ear thing never worked for us, but tossing him over helped for a while.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She has CL. She can't have a friend. Besides, she'd probably do what she's doing to me to her friend.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But she's a pet goat. She's not your normal everyday goat. She's a baby, my baby. She has never had a "friend" in her entire life. She thinks she's a human. She is a bottle raised %Boer that I love, but if this continues... I can't stand the thought of her going for meat either. A good home would be a must. But, it'd have to someplace where she won't be bred either. I don't have housing for a second goat. I'm not even a 100% positive if it's CL that she has. I caught the exudate from her abscess, brought it into the vets office where I work, but the freakin' vet tech didn't send her sample in! That's whole nother story in itself.

·
Registered
306 Posts
We have a dominating buck too. We flip him and lay on him every time it's hoof trim time and he still has and ugly attitude afterwards. He is calm and gentle while he's down but not afterward. I like goat hikers idea but my husband sees that as an awful lot of trouble. What about a cattle prong?

·
14,802 Posts
I'm sorry Miracle is being a butthead right now. Could she be in heat?
I'm no pro on this situation, but it's not something I would put up with. Needs to be stopped now before she gets worse.
Our girls know when I mean business. I put on my 'I'm the boss' voice, and don't hesitate to yell at them. Usually all I have to say is 'Andale!" and they know they better move it LOL

The last buck we had tried to challenge me once. He met the rake handle across his horns and wimpered away!

If the other suggestions don't work, try keeping a rake handle, or tree branch in hand, and when she acts like that, give her a good smack and yell at her, see if she backs off. You have to show her your the boss, and mean it if she's being really mean to you.
After a few times of me yelling at the buck and showing him my stick, he learned there are some boundaries he shouldn't cross.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I was told, early on, not to get "bottle bucks", they feel you are part of the herd and therefore need to be dominated. However, I have ND's and I have 2 bottle bucks and they were sweethearts. We'll see, as now I have a Nubian/Saanen and an Saanen/Alpine cross buck bottle kids.

I had a boy that was very pushy...I finally had enough, and as pinching his ear didn't get his attention, I bit him on the ear...yes I did! And, it worked, he never bothered me again.

Oh, and ladies...I was told they can tell when you are "cycling"...so stay away from bucks...at that time.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
More then half my herd are bottle kids bucks does and weathers non of them are aggressive they do how ever need a lot of my attention which I don't mind my only issue is at feeding time my boys (weathers & intact) swarm me like they haven't eaten in yrs they have free choice hay and a ton of trees shrubs grass weeds so I know they aren't really all that hungry they just want the grain but it drives me crazy I have a hard time even getting into the feed bins but it is only at feed time if I went in 3 hours early with bucket of grain they don't even pay attention lol but normal times is a night mare and I usually feed 10 to 12 hours apart

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry Miracle is being a butthead right now. Could she be in heat?
I'm no pro on this situation, but it's not something I would put up with. Needs to be stopped now before she gets worse.
Our girls know when I mean business. I put on my 'I'm the boss' voice, and don't hesitate to yell at them. Usually all I have to say is 'Andale!" and they know they better move it LOL

The last buck we had tried to challenge me once. He met the rake handle across his horns and wimpered away!

If the other suggestions don't work, try keeping a rake handle, or tree branch in hand, and when she acts like that, give her a good smack and yell at her, see if she backs off. You have to show her your the boss, and mean it if she's being really mean to you.
After a few times of me yelling at the buck and showing him my stick, he learned there are some boundaries he shouldn't cross.
Thanks Candice. As far as I can tell, no she isn't in heat. That's what I had thought at first too. But she's not showing any other signs and she is usually done after 48 hrs. This has gone longer than that. I yank her collar and give her either a swift kick in her rear or a good smack on the rump. That keeps her away for about 30 seconds. She's spoiled rotten and think she rules the roost, that's what her problem is. My mom and I have discussed about getting a horse whip and using that. We have also discussed a shock collar. I would try the whip first before going to the shock collar. Although right now, a shock collar does sound like a good solution. It's like the more I try to be nice, the more she hurts me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts