pudgy goat kid

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Jul 22, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay, calypso a 88% boer doeling who just turned 6mnths, was a single and is very well fed by mom. but she doesnt seem to be losing her big belly, she is weaned, and i dont feed her very much at all just for this reason, could it be that she's wormy? :? but i dont think an overweight doe is going to breed as well as a 'conditioned' doe.

what wormers do you guys use? i usually use the 'postive pellets' and rumatel (pellets). is safeguard good?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I use the injectable Ivermectin (you don't inject it though, just put it in their mouth, in the side next to tongue). I've head Safeguard is not effective anymore because of resistance. I keep saying I'm going to try the "herbal wormer" but I haven't actually done it yet. If the kid is only pudgy in the stomache area I'd suspect worms.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends on what is effective in your area. I use bother safeguard and ivermectin as ivermectin does not take care of tapeworms but safeguard does.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I use ivermectin paste, combo care gel, and/or quest gel for horses. I dose 3 times what you would dose for a horse. I have been doing this for 2 years with great luck!

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have been told by the quest rep not to use quest on goats and if you do dont use it over the dosage amount. :shrug:

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Quest is very strong. You have to be careful with that even with horses.
    I personally just use generic Ivermectin paste for horses and give 3x that goats weight.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Stacey- did the rep say why not to use Quest? Other than the need to get the dosage right? I use Quest but unlike Ivermectin products, I pull it into a regular syringe to get the exact right amount as the amount is so small and doesn't have the safety levels that ivermectin has.
    If it's just not labeled for goats, the is ok as not much is but if there is a real problem, I would really like to know.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well it was before I had access to information like you all and I was maybe 15years old. So that was 8 years ago.

But I just remember her saying it was such a stronger wormer. They make quest for sheep I do believe. that would be something to look into. I was asking her questions because I wanted to know. She didnt actually look down on me but i do remember her saying "you really like your goats dont you?" and I dont know it made me feel awkward like she was saying "I am here to educate the girls for horses not goats"

9. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    interesting. I know it is strong but I havent had a problem with it yet. ComboCare gel is no longer available to me so I have switched to Quest which is the same as combo care gel. ComboCare gel was recommended to me by a very good friend and a trusted breeder. I have used it on pregnant does also. I like the results I have had with it so I too would like to know details on the quest.

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Thanks for the insight....I think they have formulated the wormer so it could be given to pregnant horses.

11. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I personally would never use ComboCare nor Quest on a goat. Especially a bred goat as I don't even used Ivermectin on them.
    When my does are bred I use Safeguard on them and I just make sure they are dewormed with Ivermectin or Valbazan before they are bred.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks, i'll need to worm! off to go find wormer!

13. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Good luck on finding a wormer...I have used Cydectin once on a doe that had just kidded but it is also a very strong wormer.

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We use Safeguard labeled for goats on our preg. does. I like Valbazen (not on pregnant though) it is very broad spectrum. Ivermectin is mainly what we use for all of our adult goats when needed. 1cc per 50 lbs. orally is what we were told to do. It tastes so nasty that we like to give the goaties a little cracker or pretzel after. . . .

It may be a good idea to take a fecal in to your vet to determine if there is a problem and then go from there? It may save money in the long run. . . .