38261 - 38280 of 48864 Posts

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Pretty nice, teats are still a little wider but over all nice

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Ya, I have to figure out if tempers udder is going to look normal by next freshening... Her teats are very far apart :(

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
I love everything about temper, and the rest of her udder is pretty good, she could use more medial but her teats are really what I would change

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Her dam has a nice FF udder. Not as capacious as I like, but I'm tough to please :lol: So for her, her udder could look like that when she's bagged, or pretty much the same, just fuller, that why I don't critique them when they aren't at least bagged up to some firmness.

That would throw a wrench in the works, wouldn't it? :lol: Curly ruined Fancy's udder the first day because I was too tired to catch her again and milk out her left side, so it's a little bigger than the right because it stretched. It's not super noticeable, but I notice it, and that's enough for me to keep her out of a show ring. That and my gosh she's a gawky yearling :lol: Those rear legs belong to something of more stature :lol:
She is really easy to milk though, tonight was her first night on the stand, didn't kick, just raised her leg a few times. Great texture, and orifices for milking though.

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
I know the capacity is definitely not there, but somehow, in that pic, her dam was producing 2 1/2 gallons a day!

They didn't bother to get or look at pics of Athena's sire's dam before breeding (grr) so I don't know exactly what the udder genetics look like on that side. Generations back, they look great though.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You basically just have to let it stretch and feed them well, milk 2x a day on time, and milk long lactation's. And I'm skeptical of that..... I know what an udder that milks that much looks like :lol: So I wouldn't believe it unless you've seen more pictures, seen her milked, milked her yourself, or there is a record with adga on that.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Athena is the FF right? Her great great granddam Pepsi Twist never milked more than 16lbs, which is 2 gallons. Her dams sires dam Survivor topped at 13.5lbs in her life. You can't get a 20lb a day milker from 13.5 and 16lbs, doesn't work that way :lol:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
That is surprising then, they should have her on test. Did you milk her when she was at peak? She's either a doe that milks down to nothing, or just keeps letting down once you start milking. How many freshenings did she have then?

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
She peaked 2 1/2 gal as a FF? That's impressive!

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
Yep...but that was absolute max. I have no idea how it happened...I think she was on a 14 hour fill after a show. She was also getting free choice grain and alfalfa pellets.

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Do you have a side view?

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
The people who they bought her from have amazing milking lines...one of the does they showed this year as a 3 y/o second freshener was averaging around 3 gallons!

38261 - 38280 of 48864 Posts