~Pull up a chair....and come on in~ :D

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by NyGoatMom, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ISmellLikeGoats

ISmellLikeGoats Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I'm having a crap day. My sickly doe finally took the turn one way or another, and it wasn't a good one. I had to put her down this morning. I'm down to 3 geriatric does now, all in the 10 year old range. I'm hoping we don't have anymore hard decisions due for us soon, I'm attached to the old battle axes.

On the bright side I have babies due in just about 3 weeks now and am excited to see what we get and what we'll be keeping. These are some late babies and I probably won't breed this late for next year, except maybe the Boers since our stock shows are end of winter early spring, but I'm glad I did this year since we had an extended cold winter.
    I also have chicks hatching next to my desk today, waiting on ducklings and goslings to hatch, if they're going to. I haven't had a lot of luck incubating the geese eggs - they tend to fail somewhere in the middle of it.

2. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I'm sorry about your doe. I dread that time with my awesome doe. Boo, and hugs to you.

3. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Jumping in here
    Ive had a relative doe year. Although my cousin got hit with quad bucks, how disappointing

4. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Sorry about youre doe

Weve recently have had a black bear taking goats from their yard around town. So far he (they) have taken 8 goats and 1 sheep. I believe they are traviling in a pack because a there are so many different bears being sighted within a mile from each other. So scary. all our girls are closed in tight. I dont know why people continue to leave their goats out at night knowing the risk

5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I had one single buck. Ugh. But he sold fast so that's a plus :)

wifeof1 likes this.
  6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I went down to Columbus, OH to the big ADGA national show. Wow! 4000+ goats there! I went through the entire barns and saw most of them! I was only there 2 days. Too hard to stay away from my herd any longer. It sure was neat to see all those fabulous does!

Then I stopped at PBS on the way home! Ouch, I bought too much! I'm glad they are 2 hrs. away. I would go bankrupt if they were closer!

Anyone else get to Columbus?

Crazy Little Goat likes this.
  7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Too bad I missed it. I live near Columbus too.

8. ISmellLikeGoats

Oct 4, 2017
    I ended up with 5 doelings out of what has kidded, and waiting on one I don't have a due date on since I bought her bred.
    I slipped in the barn last night and slid my bare foot under a chainsaw I'd been working on - I caught the blade between my 3rd and 4th toes. Deep puncture and cut, got a new tetanus shot and 3 stitches at the ER after hosing it out in the bathtub and determining that it was too deep to just bandaid (I could see muscle and tendon). Dr debated an anthrax shot too and I got two antibiotics to run a 3 day course since he said I couldn't have picked a dirtier place to get a deep open wound.
    Stitches come out in 9 days, and he said if it starts to hurt to come in because it will probably get infected. I'm more butt-hurt that I was told I have to wear shoes until it heals up. I did move the chainsaw this morning.

wifeof1 likes this.
  9. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

No! Not shoes. Tell your doctor the trauma will slow the healing. Lol

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  10. 15WildTurkey

15WildTurkey Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Yeowch. That sounds pretty crap. Watch out that’s my goats favorite spot to stomp on.

Nigerian dwarf goat and wifeof1 like this.
  11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
  12. ksalvagno

That sounds awful. I hope you heal quickly.

13. ISmellLikeGoats

Oct 4, 2017
    It's not that bad, just itchy now. DH is installing more lighting in the barn since I was working around with a 2 bulb florescent and it was pretty dark in there.
    All honesty, I'm still not wearing shoes. I wore them the other night to the auction and by the end my foot hurt, was sweaty, and discharging. It stays dry and happy without the shoes.

Still can't believe I got cut that bad on a non-running chainsaw. Guess the blade on it was sharper than I thought - it looks like a rusty piece of junk lol.

14. ksalvagno

Glad it is healing well.

15. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    We showed in Columbus this past week!
    It was the biggest Nationals ever, with amazing competition!

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Too bad it is so far away next year. But, at least I got to "see" a National show!

17. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I was there too. My team got 4th for the fitting contest out of 36 teams and my 4 year old milk made cut off

18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have a question. Is the tetanus vaccine that we give goats the same one people get? All the tetanus shots are based on horse serum, so wouldn't people shots be the same as goat shots?

(I hope this isn't as dumb as it sounds!).

19. ksalvagno

I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

20. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Thanks, just wondered..;)