~Pull up a chair....and come on in~ :D

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by NyGoatMom, Dec 30, 2013.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww thank you guys, TGS would be nothing without you. We appreciate all of you too.
    ;) :bighug:

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Got a question- I have a doe with a thin hair coat- been working on the minerals and etc. Anyway- what kind of goat coat would you all recommend? I need it to be big enough for a standard Oberhasli doe, (ave. height and weight) one that is easy to put on and off, will stay on and won't twist, plus stand up to 18 other does that are in with her. (Lots of goofing around and mock fighting etc). And it has to be one I buy as I am totally worthless with needle and thread.
    Thanks!

Iluvlilly! likes this.

3. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I have one from Jeffers from horseware brand that is really nice but it has leg straps that go underneath each back leg. My goats won’t wear it with the straps so I took them off and now it will twist. It stays on but is usually lopsided by the end of the day. My herd couldn’t rip it off of anyone. Then I also have the one from weaver livestock which stays on better and covers more of the goat. I had to cut the mesh off the back so they had more room to pee and not get it on the coat. I don’t 100% like either of these so pay attention to any other suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Another option is a large dog coat like for a Great Dane. A cheaper option is a human vest from Goodwill. Have the vest zip along her back. Try and find one with the tie things at the bottom so you can tighten it.

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I have used human clothes on livestock. A size or two smaller than you think they need so it fits snug. I used a ribbed sweater on a doe that was cold after being heavily sedated for stitches last winter. I just cut the sleeves off some was all. It was a turtleneck sweater and worked really well. It covered her long nubian body to right in front of her hind legs.

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
  7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had a fun time trying to track down pictures of my goats' ancestors through the kinder goat breeder's online pedigree. It went pretty well for my does. I found pictures of some of their great great grandparents. I have a doe who's father was a first gen kinder and I was hoping I could find pictures of his nubian and pygmy parents, but I didn't have any luck.

8. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    On the blanket question:
    I like my blankets from the Goat Coat shop. You just take the goats measurements and she makes the blanket for you from a variety of colors and patterns. Warm blanket but not heavy to smash their fur down and ruin their natural air pockets. Stays clean. Doesn't fall off of my goats. She ships them out fast as well.
    Jeffers also has dog blankets that come in pretty big sizes and are pretty cheap. I don't know the size of your goat though and I've only gotten smaller sizes from them for younger goats. I would order a larger size them you thick you need of these blankets.
    I also have this blanket. Horseware® Ireland Amigo® Foal Turnout Blanket. It was first a calf blanket then my buck uses it. This blanket can take a beeting. But the sizes might be to big for a doe.
    You could also look at other foul blankets. Some are nice and your local tack shop might have some. Just watch out that the chest isn't too thick/wide. Goats are thinner there and have shorter legs then foals making it easier for goats to step on the chest part or step through the neck. Thus the neck needs to be adjusting enough to get it small enough for a thin doe neck.

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ok. So my sister and I are both into animal rescue and the such. She is a school teacher full time but helps out at 9th day animal shelter for pooches and felines. Me I rescue as you all know the larger wilder kind. So through her bedroom window I show her all the goatie pictures and Whatsapp her asking if they are not cute. Her response... whats your obsession with goats.... they are not cute at ALL.
    I almost cried. Then again I dont find all doggies and kitties cute either.... :bonk:
    :heehee:

10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I love baby goats. Nothing cuter in the world. I love most animals
    Im not a domestic cat person...but I LOVE the beauty of wild cats. I detest.snakes, spiders & parasites of ALL KINDS! I Love Ocean life..and birds of flight. So Thankyou for careing for those that are injured and left out .

11. MellonFriend

I am so busy!!! I have never been more busy in my life! :D I have to:
    1. Finish collecting all of my kidding supplies
    2. Continue watching videos about kidding, milking, disbudding, etc.
    3. Finish painting my milking stand (Can't wait to show you guys how that turned out)
    4. Research a video baby monitor for my barn (Ugh, there are so many options and issues with that I have to figure out)
    5. Find and make better temporary hay racks for my does to use while Bella hates Prim eating next to her
    6. Research how to tune a piano
    7. Clean out my closet (It's been probably three years... I'm scared of what I'm going to find)
    8. Finish the sweater I'm knitting so I can start knitting a present for my sister's birthday
    9. Turn the mountain of compost that just keeps getting bigger
    10. Groom my Pomeranian
    11. Sew my Pomeranian a shirt so that her skin can heal from the spots she keeps licking
    12. Start taking my does for walks everyday because I think they need more exercise.
    13. Do a fecal!! (I keep putting that one off like the bad person I am.:upset:)
    Phew! I think that's it.

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You are doing well so far. Keep going.

13. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    One Day at a time my friend. I understand. I have retired this year. Im doing full time Goats:inlove::inlove:. Ive not worked full time since I was 14...lol. And all this wonderful things around the pasture, in the pasture, around the yard, outside the house...and inside the house has waited ALL THESE YEARS....:omg:.
    So 1 day at a time....

14. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I think most animals are cute or charming at some stage of life. Baby goats just really get me, though. Adults goats are rather odd looking, I think, BUT I love the fun, quirky personalities they all have.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Cobwebs, what is going on? My barn looks like a haunted house. Its big, 52 x 60' with a lean to over hang, so kind of a hay mow, and the ceiling is actually a drop ceiling with insulated garage door panels, to help keep the heat in- and fans.

A month ago, I got rid of most of the cobwebs, I sweep regularly. Suddenly (life got in the way and I did not get to do cobwebbing lately) it looks crazy. :ahh: What is a cob web? A spider web with dust? Or it is it's own thing? There is no way I have that many spiders- if I do, I'm moving! :omg:

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Cobwebs are not so bad.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  17. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

What about all the stinkin flies now too?

18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Flies are dead. Well, I have one determined one. At 26º F outside and 41º in, that is one strong fly. Big fat black fly!

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  19. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Hey guys!! little old me popping in to say hi! **waves**

20. MellonFriend

Hey you! I don't know if you know me, but I know of you from seeing old threads. :hi: