The Goat Spot Forum banner

48741 - 48760 of 48822 Posts

·
8,161 Posts
We have a decent vet around that will come and take care of goats- naturally, they prefer cows, but, usually he is ok. Until
last week. A goat acquaintance was complaining that he was very short with her, didn't really seem interested in the goat
problems and was kind of mean. Upon thinking back over what she told me, I came to a conclusion.....

She said she called him because a new born (few day old) kid was panting, breathing hard and heart was racing. She was
afraid it was either a bit premature or had pneumonia from the breech birth. Upon talking to others and me, she gave it
a tiny bit of Dexamethasone- to help the lung function. That made the baby hyper. So she gave it a dot of benedryl. (.2cc)

He said he never heard of giving Dex for premature kids! (What? human premies get it all the time!)

Anyway, she and her friends looked stuff up on the internet. When the vet came, she told him she had done research online
and determined the baby might have torn his diaphragm when it was born. That is when he got snarky- downright rude. She
had no idea why.... He said that wasn't a "thing". Apparently it is, but not common?!

Upon thinking over her and my conversation later while I did chores, I realized that he was (like all medical people) irked that
folks are diagnosing things based on internet info. That seems to really tick off the vets! Like waving a red flag in front of a bull!

So, ever if you call a vet after doing research, don't tell him you found info online! (or wait until later in the conversations!)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I guess it really depends on your relationship with your vet. My vet is amazing and always open to learning and listening to my concerns. If I try to diagnose or have an idea of something she will figure out what brought me to that conclusion and we work through it. While other vets feel the need to prove their 8 years of school and get almost offended

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
225 Posts
I agree! I wish there were more vets that specialize in goats or more livestock vets in general. The closest one to me is and hour away 😔 not the best if there is an emergency. I haven’t performed fecals , and have nothing to do them with anyway, I would have fecals done every month, but there extremely expensive and not to mention gas cost and the hour drive or paying $100 for a vet to come. I plan to learn how to perform fecals soon, but it seems hard to do them 😂

·
Registered
631 Posts
I know. I’m worried my first meeting will be an emergency and then I have to trust. It’s enough to knot my stomach. Performing the fecal isn’t difficult, being confident you’re properly identifying what you’re seeing is where my confidence dropped. I know they have something. I sent it to a lab but somewhere in transit, there was a delay, now I do t know if my sample will be viable when they read it.

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
225 Posts
I know. I’m worried my first meeting will be an emergency and then I have to trust. It’s enough to knot my stomach. Performing the fecal isn’t difficult, being confident you’re properly identifying what you’re seeing is where my confidence dropped. I know they have something. I sent it to a lab but somewhere in transit, there was a delay, now I do t know if my sample will be viable when they read it.
I may try out the traveling vet my friend/ breeder uses, he says she’s good, and she’s helped him with a kid that had polio, And some other issues he‘s had with other livestock.

·
Registered
631 Posts
So I’m a bit worried. I called the only goat vet in my area and was on hold for a while (that doesn’t worry me) but the music playing was like 10 seconds of a song, then a record scratch sound, then the same clip of song, scratch, repeat. Lol.

Anyway, they charge $40 per fecal sample. That seems high but I still haven’t heard from MeadowMist Lab from my sample sent over a week ago (Monday before last). Most of the delay was thanks to the post office, but still, I’m getting nervous. Goats are doing fine, btw, but one still has clumpy poo on and off.

Not sure what to do. Should I send a new sample to MeadowMist using FedEx instead and again do my own for comparison, or just take a sample to the vet and pay $120 for the three samples I need ran?

Any thoughts?

48741 - 48760 of 48822 Posts