The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that pumpkin seeds are good for controlling worms, So I have a questions. Do you use them Raw or roasted and how much do you give them and how often?
Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 5 goats and SEVERAL(15-20) various sized pumpkin's, if the seeds scrape there insides enough to dislodge worms, I don't want to give them to much that it hurts there rumen and etc. So I don't think just scraping out the guts and giving it to them would work in this situation. even if I only did half now and half in a couple weeks I would be worried I gave them to much. But at the same time with the size of the pumpkins I don't want to give to little for them to not do any good either.
Im sure I am micro managing this to much, but with being new to the goat world, and reading EVERYWHERE to slowly give them something new and to take care not to stress the rumen. I want to be careful. I cant afford to haul them into or have a vet called out to treat all 5 of them at one time at the moment, I just dumped all my $ into getting a chain link fence put around there pen area to keep them safe.
Thanks for your patients

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Pumpkin seeds are a natural wormer...Use them raw, not roasted..even though goats can have them whole I would blend them a bit, ive not used them for goats yet.....I feed them to my chickens, I make a smoothy with seeds, milk and cayenne pepper..pour it back in the shell and feed them to my chicken ducks and turkey..they love it and it helps with the worm issue...this year I plan on buyingup all the pumpkins I can and freezing smoothies for year round : )

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
If you can give them the whole pumpkin. They LOVE them. I gave them one that was 9#. They tore through that like crazy. They eat it all.

I always get several of them so they have a good treat. They open it up and eat it. It is so funny to watch.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I go to the farmers markets as it is closer to Halloween and ask for their leftover pumpkins. Most are great and give them to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts